Nikon 50mm 1.8 in stock anywhere???/

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone know where I could find a Nikon 50mm 1.8? Adorama and the other usuals I know of are out of stock...

Also people say all the time that I can find one of these incredible lenses for less than 100, but I cant find them for less than 120 bucks.

Anyone care to share the secret? :lovey:

The stock issue could be a larger issue, as all the retailers I usually check here in the UK are also out of the 50mm f/1.8. If I were feeling petty I might have a giggle at the expense of the people who say Nikon glass is always widely available - but I'm not like that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously thought I don't know what the cause is, could just be that demand is really high with everyone buying the dSLRs now, or maybe they're about to have a surprise release of an AF-S version. Whatever the reason, I doubt you'll have to wait very long for stock to come in, and since demand is high it might be an idea to place an order now so that you get one as soon as they do come in.

As for price... you might consider a "Gray market" one if the price difference is significant... there's not too much to go wrong with a 50mm prime. It shouldn't be hard to find one for $100... which IMO isn't bad because here you'd have to pay £100 for the same lens :grumpy:

Oh and the secret of getting lenses cheaper... begins with 'E' and ends in 'Bay'? ;) or Buy & Sell forums of course. There must be plenty of these lenses around.

The problem with ebay is i dont know enough about the lenses to make sure that I can get one that is full functional and AUTO FOCUS's with my D50!

Well the D50 has an autofocus motor, right? In which case any Nikon AF lens should surely work? AFAIK the D40 and D40x are the only Nikon dSLRs that won't autofocus and meter with an autofocus lens... anyone please correct me if necessary.

RM, the difference in price between a 50mm AF or even a manual and a 50mm AFD is not enough to prevent you from getting the AFD. Nikon gives you a 5 year warranty on USA models so the extra $10 you save on grey market is a wash as well. The 50mm f1.8 AFD is what you need. (the 50mm f1.4 is what you want but that is another story)

mike

AFD huh? SO if a ebay listing says 50mm 1.8 AF it wont work?

I think any "AF" works and autofocuses... the "D" may have some extra features or benefits, but I don't know what they are.

I think any "AF" works and autofocuses... the "D" may have some extra features or benefits, but I don't know what they are.

AF is Autofocus, AF-D is Autofocus with Distance - the lens also sends back the distance from the lens to what it has focused on. You won't notice it's missing unless you like shooting yourself through mirrors.

JDP has it right, but the distance function is good if you want to focus on a reflection of someone else too. Say the classic 'Bride looking out the window' shot.

My point is that they are so cheap, why not spend the extra $20 and get the best. And unless you are really strapped for cash, I wouldn't even think of buying one used for the same reason.

mike

Labellecameras.com have the AF-D at $94.85 but I have absolutely no idea whether or not they give good service.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back