Nikon 50mm 1.8D for D5100.

The 70-300mm VR is an AWESOME lens, get it!!!
I wouldn't bother to get the 50mm 1.8D, get the 50mm 1.8G, its only 60$ more expensive so its well worth the added investment for the AF.

Is there any other difference in G lens compared to D lens except AF? If not I don't want to spend extra bucks on AF-S lens because I don't think I will have problem in focusing it manually.

Many G lenses have focus motors in the lens, so the screw-drive isn't needed. Most D lenses use the screw-drive, so a body motor is required to AF them. G lenses comprise the bulk of Nikon's line-up, and usually have better optics and newer coatings (such as the Nanocoating).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Distance information was for speedlights (to get better exposure), not for aiding the Rangefinder operation.

I have 3 lenses that are not chipped, and the Rangefinder still works.
That's very handy.

The D simply means the lens sends subject to camera distance information to the camera. I didn't say the distance information was used by Rangefinder mode. I said it was used in the Manual shooting mode when Rangefinder is not available.
Yes, the distance info is also used by Nikon speedlights, but that information was not germane to the OPs query.

D type lenses also allow 3D Matrix Metering and the distance information is also used to refine exposure calculations done by the camera.
G type lenses have the D Type technology too.

Last edited:
The 70-300 G series, the first one, has screw-drive focus and a small, front-mounted focusing ring. It's not that great of a lens, especially at the longer settings, where purple fringing is pretty noticeable, but it is available very inexpensively. I own one I bought a long time ago. Its just not a very good lens.

The 70-300 ED glass model is pretty close to the new f/4.5~5.6 VR G optically, but it too will not autofocus on a D5100. This lens is out of production, but might still be found NOS, new old stock, in various places. It is a bit faster, at f/4, not f/4.5 at 70mm. The 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 VR-G is a nice lens, and a good value if bought used.

The 50/1.8 AF or AF-D are decent lenses, nice and compact form factor, 52mm filter thread size, which is nice. If the price is good, I say yeah, go ahead and pick one up.

I still think to save around $50 it's not worth buying the 50 1.8d for your Nikon D5100 when you can get the 50 1.8G which will auto focus.

.......... I didn't say the distance information was used by Rangefinder mode. I said it was used in the Manual shooting mode when Rangefinder is not available.
Yes, the distance info is also used by Nikon speedlights, but that information was not germane to the OPs query..........

I'm not saying what you posted was incorrect, just stating that it might be misinterpreted. I was merely trying to clarify.

I want to buy D lens because i will be able to control aperture using aperture ring which is not possible on G lens. And i also want to use this lens with reverse ring to get macro shots.

I want to buy D lens because i will be able to control aperture using aperture ring which is not possible on G lens. And i also want to use this lens with reverse ring to get macro shots.

Then you'll need to get a BR-6.

06Reversed50mm.jpg~original

Can't I buy cheap one like of 10$ from amazon, what is the need to buy this costly 70$ nikon adapter? After all it is a hollow ring with mount, will it make any difference?

Can't I buy cheap one like of 10$ from amazon, what is the need to buy this costly 70$ nikon adapter? After all it is a hollow ring with mount, will it make any difference?

You can get cheap reversing rings off Amazon & ebay... they're just metal rings.

The BR-6 is what allows you to control the aperture.

You can get cheap reversing rings off Amazon & ebay... they're just metal rings.

The BR-6 is what allows you to control the aperture.

Do you means BR-6 allow to control aperture electrically form camera? How does it controls the aperture even if the lens is mounted in reverse direction so there will be no electric communicatio between lens and camera.

Do you means BR-6 allow to control aperture electrically form camera? How does it controls the aperture even if the lens is mounted in reverse direction so there will be no electric communicatio between lens and camera.

No. It allows you to focus & compose with a full-open aperture, then press the lever on the side to close the aperture down to whatever the lens' aperture ring is set to. You can also lock it to that position, and do the same with a cable release.

No. It allows you to focus & compose with a full-open aperture, then press the lever on the side to close the aperture down to whatever the lens' aperture ring is set to. You can also lock it to that position, and do the same with a cable release.
Will it also allow to control aperture on G lenses also?

So with 50mm 1.8D i will be able to do it with aperture ring, so i can buy cheap one reverse ring or not?

So with 50mm 1.8D i will be able to do it with aperture ring,.....

Sure you can. But........... where's f/8, or f/11, or 5.6? And even if you DO find where it is, how do you repeat the setting? The aperture tab on most Nikkors only move 3/16" across the entire range of apertures, so finding the same setting again is 'pert near impossible. Gimme a D lens, and I'll be posting my shots on TPF while someone with a G lens is still out in the sticks fumbling around.

......so i can buy cheap one reverse ring or not?

Yep. The BR-6 doesn't care whether you spend $2 on a reversing ring or $200. It operates the same (unless your lens falls off because of a $2 ring and busts the BR-6 on the rocks).

I still don't have my 50mm 1.8D and don't exactly know how aperture ring will work, and from your answers it became very confusing to me how exactly aperture ring will change aperture when mounted at reverse and what will cheap or nikon reverse ring will help me in setting aperture exactly? Please can you explain me?

And which reverse ring will be batter cheap or nikon? And how? Provide any link if there from which i can read in detail.

Most reactions

Back