Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

Deli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I've been wanting to buy another lens for my D40 and I was looking @ the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens but I read some reviews and they say that it doesn't auto focus with the d40 and some other Nikon's. I thought when a lens has the AF on it, it means the motor is built in. What do you recommend I should get that is very similar to the 50mm that has a motor built in. Sorry for the noob question.

Thanks-Deli

Nikon has two types of autofocus systems: mechanical and electronic. The D40 only supports the electronic AF. The 50/1.8D is mechanical AF. You need to look for lenses designated as "AF-S".

Nikon's 50mm f/1.4 AF-S G has a built-in autofocusing motor,and will autofocus fully with a D40. Same thing with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM EX--it too has a built-in AF motor and will autofocus fully on a D40.

The Sigma is a very high-performance 50mm lens. Its price is higher than that of the Nikon.

Just check B&H site and it says "AF not supported by D40 and D60, D3000, D5000 cameras" One Idea I can give is if you plan to upgrade from the D40 maybe just live with it and make sure your upgrade body supportes this lens. I think you might be using manuel focus with a lens like that more anyways. But thats just my thought.

Last edited:
It does have a motor in it but just not supported by the D40.
No, it doesn't. It's a mechanical AF system which is driven by motor in the camera body via a screwdriver-like coupling in the lens mount. The D40 does not have this motor or coupling, which is why it will not autofocus with this particular lens.

It does have a motor in it but just not supported by the D40.
No, it doesn't. It's a mechanical AF system which is driven by motor in the camera body via a screwdriver-like coupling in the lens mount. The D40 does not have this motor or coupling, which is why it will not autofocus with this particular lens.

Your right I stand corrected. :thumbup:

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info :)

Thanks-Deli

I think you might be using manuel focus with a lens like that more anyways. But thats just my thought.

Really, is it b/c you have to be close to your subject. If that's the case, I might get it.

Thanks-Deli

Last edited:
Well it might still be worth it to get that lens even without the AF. For that price you still get a good lens. Hell I just spent 160 bucks on a filter. If I had that lens it would be for none action shots and when I have time to set up shots I like to use manuel focus to have more control taking the photo. Now on my 70 -200 lens AF is very important and I can't live without it on that lens and what I use it for.

The AF 50 mm f/1.8D lens sends distance information to the D40's CPU and to the auto focus system in the D40.

The D40 will know when the lens has been focused and it will light up the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder.

You have to supply the motive power to the lenses focus ring though which is why it's called manual focus.

However, all the other auto focus electronics still work to help you achieve focus.

it's a fun lens on the d40, once you upgrade to a d90 or similar you'll love the lens even more when you don't have to do the focus work :)

Most reactions

Back