Nikon 50mm1.4D vs Nikon 50mm1.4G

BTW,
doesn't the OP use a d7100 DX camera.
The 50mm's are all FX lenses
So the image edges won't really matter as they're cropped off.

One buys lenses for 20-40 YEARS worth of service, not for one digital camera.

I am shooting one lens (a 50mm) that my father shot when he was posted at Da Nang in Vietnam in 1967, I use it regularly. He bought it new in 1964, so it's 51 years old and still lovely (albeit the paint is pretty worn). I also use the E series 100mm f/2.8 I bought in HS, one of my favorite lenses to this day, and and it's nearly 40 years old.
That's great for you but using a blanket statement that everyone buys a lens for 20-40 years does not take into account the evolution of camera equipment and levels (consumer, pro-sumer, pro) nowadays.

Would someone new into photography want to hold on to a 55-200 DX kit lens after they moved to FX?

Plus, the OP currently has a crop camera.
the OP may or may not ever buy a FF camera. Who knows ?

And many people may not keep a lens for 40 years.
I sold a couple AI-S lenses with a N80 I had after upgrading to AF models, such as the 50mm 1.8 AF-D with the d7000. I no longer have any manual focus lenses.
When I sold my d7000, I sold it with the kit 18-105 lens that I bought with that one camera. It was a DX lens, no worth it on my FX camera.

So, some people may keep lenses for 20- 40 years, others may not.
to each their own, YMMV as they say.

That's great for you but using a blanket statement that everyone buys a lens for 20-40 years does not take into account the evolution of camera equipment and levels (consumer, pro-sumer, pro) nowadays.

Would someone new into photography want to hold on to a 55-200 DX kit lens after they moved to FX?

Plus, the OP currently has a crop camera.
the OP may or may not ever buy a FF camera. Who knows ?

And many people may not keep a lens for 40 years.
I sold a couple AI-S lenses with a N80 I had after upgrading to AF models, such as the 50mm 1.8 AF-D with the d7000. I no longer have any manual focus lenses.
When I sold my d7000, I sold it with the kit 18-105 lens that I bought with that one camera. It was a DX lens, no worth it on my FX camera.

So, some people may keep lenses for 20- 40 years, others may not.
to each their own, YMMV as they say.

No, they would not, and that is ENTIRELY my point. Digital cameras (especially) are paper weights in a couple of years, whereas lenses can last a lifetime (and thus retain VALUE for a lifetime even if one chooses to sell them).

That's why I advise buying lenses that are the most versatile, instead of limiting yourself. Given the choice, why choose a less capable lens?

A "G" lens is less capable than a non-G lens, because it can be used on fewer camera bodies. Therefore, it is more limited. I always recommend people keeping their options open.

You are buying and selling your lenses because the ones you chose were not very versatile. Your choice, it's just not something I would recommend when giving advice.

I bought a 50/1.8 AF-S G a few years ago....ehhhh...not much really obvious advantage over the two 50/1.8 AF (pre-D) samples I have. I like the smaller size of the older AF-Nikkor model. The 50 AF-S lenses have been designed artificially over-sized for what speed and length they are, and I am certain that is deliberate.

I've owned both. Sold my G and got back my D, but that's just me.
This is what I am looking for, naturally everyone will say go with the G, because the autofocus is fast and silent, but that does not make the old lens junk. Why do you prefer the D? Some years ago I looked at the price of the 70-200,2.8G VR $2100, I was looking to see what my 80-200,2.8D would cost to replace. At the time there was no longer a 80-2002.8D, but now it is back in production and is $1200, I would buy this lens again in an instant over the VR-G version. Just looking for this type of feedback on the 1.4,D/G 50mm. Thanks to everyone

Most reactions

New Topics

Back