Nikon 55-200mm

MelvinWaldon1959

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Newbie on this site. I have a Nikon D5100. I want to know, is this a good lens to purchase and for what photo to take? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

There are better zoom/telephotos out there in a similar price range.

Newbie on this site. I have a Nikon D5100. I want to know, is this a good lens to purchase and for what photo to take? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

New or used they are not much money, so I say go ahead and grab one. You can use this focal length for portraiture. Anywhere in the zoom range will be nice. That means you're going to be farther back than with your other lens, but IMO that is where you want to be anyway. You can try wildlife, but not more distant that in the average back yard. You can also get detail shots of parts of buildings.

Any suggestions

The 70-300 VR (used on in the FS section here at a GREAT price) or the 55-300 VR.

The 55-200 VR can be found for free to $100 if you look well enough. It's that cheap for a reason, it's a very cheaply built telephoto that pretty much just gives you the reach. But if that's all you need, then more power to you.

The 70-300 and 55-300 both have better optics.

There's also Sigma and Tamron lenses in the $150 range as well, but they don't have an stability like VR, and I find it very beneficital using long lenses.

The 55-200 vr is a good cheap light lens to start out with in telephoto. Get it and when you master shooting at longer distances sell it and upgrade to a 70-300VR

Most reactions

Back