Nikon 70-300 f4.5 VR vs 80-200 f2.8D (two ring model)

Good choice, you won't be disappointed. I don't miss the VR. As long as you keep your shutter speed at 1/(effective focal length) or higher you won't need it anyway. Even if you do find yourself in situations where you need VR (I have occasionally, you probably will eventually too), you can usually find something to brace your camera/lens on for stabilization.

Do you find yourself being limited without a ball head? Like on a slant or in different types of terrain?

Now to choose a monopod.... Ball head or fixed... Anyones take on that?
I prefer my rig be mounted directly to the monopod.

I prefer some sort of ball/swivel head w/ a QR plate on my mononpods as it makes mounting and removing sooooooooo much easier!

Do you find yourself being limited without a ball head? Like on a slant or in different types of terrain?
No, it only has one leg so.....I may need to adjust the height but you'd have to do that even with a head on it.

I use a monopod for shooting sports and don't often run into radical terrain.

If I'm off shooting wildlife the rig has to be on a tripod, a monopod wouldn't work.

What are you going to be shooting off a monopod?

tirediron is right, it takes me probably a good 6 or 7 seconds longer to mount and dismount my rig from my monopod with no ball head. Of course, it takes about that long to attach the quick connect plate to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera. ;)

tirediron is right, it takes me probably a good 6 or 7 seconds longer to mount and dismount my rig from my monopod with no ball head. Of course, it takes about that long to attach the quick connect plate to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera. ;)
:p

Mostly it would be for if im walking in fading light around citites....thats pretty much it....maybe the occaisional sporting events (non pro of course). Im just trying to get my feet wet in different types of shooting and i figure the monopod would be a good alternative instead of walking around with a tripod having to set it up each time i find something i want to shoot.

Most reactions

Back