Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by plastii, Jan 1, 2008.

1. plastii

plastii TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello everyone.

I'm thinking about buying this lens but I was wondering if anyone of you did use it. The on-line reviews were pretty good buy what is your opinion about it?

Thanks.
    Marek

2. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Santa just brought me this lens for Christmas and I love it already. :) Haven't shot with it too much yet, but I'll try to post some samples tomorrow.

3. johnmh

johnmh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good value for the money. Have gotten some good shots with this lens over the years. Shooting across Yosemite Valley from Glacier Point on a D70, I could make out the dead tree at the base of Vernal Falls when blowing up in photoshop....... a mile's distance?

It's not super fast but the VR is very useful. You'll get your money's worth from it.

You'll want to pair this lens with a wider one - the 18-70 is supposedly good quality and complements the 70-300 nicely though any of the kit lenses work well in that respect 18-55, 18-135, etc

4. Bevel Heaven

Bevel Heaven TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had that lens for awhile and thought I was able to pull of some pretty good shots with it. I give it specifically 2 thumbs up :thumbup::thumbup:

5. plastii

plastii TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks guys. I think I'll get it:)

6. petey

petey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I want this one next.

7. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

The 70-300VR straight off the D40, no processing of any kind. Looks like I'll need to push these about a stop or so to lighten them up. All were taken at 1/60s, even at 300mm. No problems! Also made framing the shot a ton easier without a constantly shaking/jiggling viewfinder. That was one thing about VR that I didn't appreciate until trying it. Once you get out to 300mm w/o a tripod you really start to need that.

70mm, 1/60s, f/4.5 (wide-open), VR on, bounced SB-400, Auto ISO chose 250.
    [​IMG]

240mm, 1/60s, f/5.6 (wide-open), VR on, bounced SB-400, Auto ISO chose 450.
    [​IMG]

300mm, 1/60s, f/5.6, VR on, bounced SB-400, Auto ISO chose 560
    [​IMG]

8. Trenton Romulox

Trenton Romulox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I looked at the 70-300 for a while, but decided it just wasn't fast enough for the light I'd be using it in (indoor sports). But I have heard good things about it, and it's a good deal I think. By the way, Mav, I notice a nice Apple keyoard, iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro? What you sportin'?

9. plastii

plastii TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mav, sweet pictures. I can't wait for my 70-300

10. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good eye. :mrgreen: I just picked up a 24" iMac (2.8 GHz) for Christmas. Before that I had a Mac Mini (1.66 GHz Core Duo, late 2006 model) that I tried out just to get my feet wet in the Apple brand after dumping PCs. Loved it, so here I am on a 24" iMac. The Mini Me Mac is about to get eBayed. :) When I get around to it I'll up the iMac to 4GB of RAM at get parallels up and running with Vista so I can also run some of my engineering apps on the side.

As for the 70-300VR, yeah it's not quick at all, but I'll eventually pickup either an f/2.8 telephoto *OR* upgrade to the coming full-frame / amateur body DSLR from Nikon which will give me enough extra speed on the body. Gotta love the D3's clean iso6400 performance! Just need to put it in a Canon 5D sized body now at a similar price point and I'll be sold. :)

11. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks! you'll love it! :mrgreen: Can't wait to try mine out at the zoo, beach, park, etc this summer. :)

12. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    Bumping an old thread to ask about focus speed on this lens. I have a Quantaray 70-300 now and the autofocus is noisy and slow but otherwise its a good lens. I am surprised at some of the shots I get from it.

I am considering stepping up to the Nikon for the VR and for a hopefully quieter and faster focus motor, but some reviews I read mention slow focus. I hope to get my hands on one here in the next few days to do a side by side comparison but wanted to hear from you guys too.

Thanks!