Nikon 70-300mm lenses

ericande

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, help me spend more money!

I currently have the nikon kit lens 70-300mm. At some point hopefully soon, I will be replacing that with either a 70-200 f2.8 or most likely the 70-300vr.

Can anyone who has tried them both tell me how the 70-300g compares with the 70-300vr? They are completely different construction so they must perform somewhat differently. I know the VR lens feels more solid.

My friend has the Canon 70-300IS, can anyone compare the Nikon to Canon 70-300?

Thanks

I have both the 70-200 2.8 and the 70-300 VR.

Both are solidly built. As far as one over the other, it depends on what you want to do with them. The 2.8 is great in low light and I use it for wedding or indoor shoots. I use the VR for wildlife mostly or candid people shots where I don't want the subject looking at me. I use a tripod almost always unless I'm moving fast and that is where the VR feature comes in handy. Still does not take the place of a tripod.

I will tell you that if you pack the VR lens all day long around your neck make sure you have some advil or other pain killer with you.

You can' t really compare the kit lens to the VR. The VR is just a much better lens. I do have the same lens that came with your kit but passed it off to my wife.

Never used a Canon so I can't comment on that.

I just noticed your in Seattle. If you get down to the Tacoma/Puyallup area email me. If I'm not on duty we can meet someplace and you can give them a try.

I don't really think you can fairly compare the 70-300 to a 70-200 2.8 the 2.8 is a much hugher quality lens.

I have both the 70-200 2.8 and the 70-300 VR.

Both are solidly built. As far as one over the other, it depends on what you want to do with them. The 2.8 is great in low light and I use it for wedding or indoor shoots. I use the VR for wildlife mostly or candid people shots where I don't want the subject looking at me. I use a tripod almost always unless I'm moving fast and that is where the VR feature comes in handy. Still does not take the place of a tripod.

I will tell you that if you pack the VR lens all day long around your neck make sure you have some advil or other pain killer with you.

You can' t really compare the kit lens to the VR. The VR is just a much better lens. I do have the same lens that came with your kit but passed it off to my wife.

Never used a Canon so I can't comment on that.

I just noticed your in Seattle. If you get down to the Tacoma/Puyallup area email me. If I'm not on duty we can meet someplace and you can give them a try.
I use the 80-200 f/2.8 and it's just a tad bit more than the 70-300 VR, but it's much sharper and faster.

funny how many people from seattle i've seen on here since i moved up here.

Really, the 70-200VR f/2.8 is a very nice lens, fast, sharp, perfect colors, sealed, very well constructed, . It will be a Nikon´s legend. Nothing to compare to 70-300, VR or not. It is a pro lens.

Regards.
www.juanparmenides.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back