Nikon 7200 vs Fujifilm XT20

Even though I'm a Fuji fan (though don't own one, nearly bought it before I bought my D7000 years ago), the only thing kept me from buying a Sony is their Star Eater software patch they had back in 2016. Google it as there's tons about it. If you do any type of night space/sky photography it would essentially make stars disappear.

I've been looking at adding a X-T20 or X-T2 for a while now. I've also have had the Nikon D7000, D600, D500, D750.

I want to go to a mirrorless for more specific astrophotography stuff in relation to not having a mirror. As anything lower than a D7000 does not give me the features I require for that. but of course a mirrorless doesn't have the mirror requirements. I nearly bought Fuji before I bought my original Nikon D7000 but had owned Nikon before (D70, N80) so bought the Nikon. The SONY's messed up my strategy as a firmware update they had messed up long star exposures.

But which is better ?
As long as you get something in your hands and you start shooting all is good. There's good and bad about each camera.

Just like you, if my local BestBuy ==> My Local Best Buy store had Fujis instead of empty display cases for the last couple years I might have bought one by now. (yes, there's another shop further away that has one but I haven't driven there as of yet).

I bought the Xt2 without ever holding a Fuji. It was researched first but it was out of stock everywhere last Spring and when I got the alert that it was in I pounced. No regrets but if I hadn’t liked it, I would have just returned it.

I would look at that as a good buy, especially if you got it so cheap. An awful lot of how good a camera is, is due to what the user gets used to. In real terms there is probably very little difference. That Sony is very well regarded. Enjoy

No shame in the A6000. The body-only package was going for peanuts around Toronto during the Boxing Day riots and I damn near bought one just to play around via adapter with my old Nikon lens tonnage. Unlike me to resist but I did-- only to get a Fujinon 50/2 WR lens the same day. A sad case, indeed.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've had the A6000 a few days now and its going quite well so far I think. I haven't had chance to see how it performs outside yet but indoors was the challenge and so far its a tenfold improvement on the old A100 DSLR in terms of autofocus and general low light performance. The only thing that seems a little odd is that in auto ISO it seems to select quite high numbers, usually between 3000-4000 which results in quite a bit of noise if you zoom in moderately. Maybe an ISO that high is normal with modern camera's, it just seems high to me as my old A100 only went to 1600.
I'm just going to have to practice a lot with it and start playing around with manual settings etc.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've had the A6000 a few days now and its going quite well so far I think. I haven't had chance to see how it performs outside yet but indoors was the challenge and so far its a tenfold improvement on the old A100 DSLR in terms of autofocus and general low light performance. The only thing that seems a little odd is that in auto ISO it seems to select quite high numbers, usually between 3000-4000 which results in quite a bit of noise if you zoom in moderately. Maybe an ISO that high is normal with modern camera's, it just seems high to me as my old A100 only went to 1600.
I'm just going to have to practice a lot with it and start playing around with manual settings etc.

Glad you're happy with your choice! I find that my XT2 is good with ISO up to 12,800 before I start to feel the photo is too noisy. Which was a big change for me from the 7100 where I always tried to keep it at 6400 or below. You are letting the camera choose the ISO? Are you using Aperture priority or Auto or something? Shoot manual and choose the ISO yourself or set a max ISO if possible in the custom menu.

You can set a MINimum and MAXimum for AUTO ISO.
Then if you feel teh A6000 is only good up to 2400 you can set that

Change the setting to AUTO ISO, press the right arrow to move over to the right of the screen. There's a LOW and HIGH end setting for the auto ISO range. To set the low or the high, arrow to that number, and click the up or down arrow to the number you prefer.

at least I think that's the routine off the top of my head.

what will happen if it's to dark is that the camera will, say max out on ISO then look to change another setting. If you are in Shutter Priority then it will try to increase the Aperture. Or if in Aperture Priority it will try to slow down the Shutter speed.

You can also set min's and max's for the Shutter/Aperture too if I recall correctly.

But overall you'll have to know your camera's limitations unless you add light to the situation, or bring up darkness in post processing.

Glad you're happy with your choice! I find that my XT2 is good with ISO up to 12,800 before I start to feel the photo is too noisy. Which was a big change for me from the 7100 where I always tried to keep it at 6400 or below. You are letting the camera choose the ISO? Are you using Aperture priority or Auto or something? Shoot manual and choose the ISO yourself or set a max ISO if possible in the custom menu.

So far its mainly been in auto. I've been playing about a bit in aperture priority and a little on P mode. I've been able to set an upper limit for auto ISO but I'm not sure yet if thats over ridden when in fully auto mode on the camera. I'm just getting a few minutes here and there to experiment with it in between a crying newborn and a tornado toddler lol.

At the moment its still a novelty to take 100 photos and over 90 of them being in focus, as opposed to the A100 where I could take 100 photos and 95 would be crap and deleted with its very poor by comparison low light capabilities.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back