Nikon 80-200 AF 2.8

blazer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have found an older version of the nikon 80-200 AF 2.8 for sale at a local camera shop. I know that this version of the lens focuses much slower that the newer versions of the lens. How slow is slow. I currently have the 70-300 G lens on my D200 and find that the focus is rather slow. Is the focus on 80-200 going to be slower than the 70-300 I currently have? Also would you buy the older version at a cheap price or hold out for the newer version? Thanks

if your short on cash all versions of nikons 80-200 2.8 are really sharp pretty much everywhere....

the focus is slower... but ... really....not that much slower.... it is a lot louder/clunkier when focusing... this is only a distraction for nature shooters...

when we talk about slower we are talking about milliseconds... this could be important for shooting sports... but not so important with everything else....

pro's used (and still use) the 80-200 for a long long time... you can't go wrong with it...

however, if you have extra cash in your pocket and/or shoot professionally... the 70-200 gives you VR, faster quieter focus, focus override in af and an extra 10mm of range for twice the price ....

IQ wise there is not much difference between the two..

good luck!

If its a good price I say get it. I have had my 80-200 for about 8 years now. Not a single problem with the lens at all. Because it is the older Nikon screwdriver focusing system is it noiser. But it will focus just fine, and it is a very sharp lens. Built like a tank. :thumbup:

I also have the latest version [two rings, NOT push/pull] and I must say this lens is wonderful. It's strong, rugged, tact sharp, and AMAZING for a sub $1000 tele zoom. The only drawbacks are the slow focus, 20% slower, but whatever, the somewhat loud focus, for the fact that the front elements move at blazing speeds, and they weigh a good few ounces. Just make sure you've got the AF MOTOR, or else this lens won't AF.

As you can see:
TACT SHARP @ 200mm @ f/2.8 NO POST PROCESSING[other than resize]
3028235789_c735def312.jpg

As you can see:
TACT SHARP

Err... you mean TACK sharp, right? The expression comes from "sharp as a tack", an old 50s-60's saying meaning "smart". It's been distorted over the years for photography purposes to denote a sharp picture..

Quite on the contrary. The 80-200 is one of the fastest focusing lenses which still rely on the camera's motor. And the D200's motor is great. I can easily track birds and sports I use mine to photograph with, so there really is nothing more that you could possibly ask for. Faster focusing is really just a luxury for the rich.

The only issue at all is that if you're coming from a lens that has an AF-S motor, even though the 80-200 may even be faster, the gearing on this lenses causes a huge amount of torque that can be felt when while focusing. It's offputting at first but I got used to it very quickly.

Most reactions

Back