Daf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dafshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm getting beaten to death by overcast days and a slow zoom lens. ;)

I;m very much a rookie at this but have been able to get some really nice shots on clear/sunny days. But the overcast days, when trying to shoot at 1/1600 or faster, are killing me! I shoot motocross races and using a flash is out of the question as far as I know. I leaning on the continuous shutter - sorting out the "good ones" in post.

It's been recommended that I get something along the lines of a
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom. This, as I understand it, is more of a professional grade lens, as opposed to my consumer 55-200mm f/4-5.6 - and the f/2.8 would greatly increase the light at the fast shutter speeds.

My question would be - what is a good 2.8 lens to use with the D40? I could probably spend about $1100 but that's about it.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.

Daf

Current equipment:
Nikon D40
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-s DX VR

Some of my "sunny day" shots can be found here: DafShots - Photos for those that go fast...

Take a look at the Sigma 80-200 f/2.8 HSM, that would auto focus on your D40. Was just talking to a photographer friend of mine who loves hers very much.

Sigma and Tamron both offer 70-200 2.8 lenses that will autofocus on your D40. Note that the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom will NOT autofocus on the D40. For a comparable Nikon you would need to go with the 70-200 AF-S VR model.

BTW, this is why people recommend against camera bodies without AF motors. It limits you. The Nikkor 80-200 2.8 is the mac-daddy, and for the quality you get, the price is awesome. (esp. since there are tons of them so you can always pick one up used) You have what you have now, but keep it in mind if you ever buy a new body.

Without a doubt in my mind the Nikon 80-200 AF-s 2.8, buy it and dont look back. i shoot motocross as well and this lens is just awesome.

Sigma and Tamron both offer 70-200 2.8 lenses that will autofocus on your D40. Note that the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom will NOT autofocus on the D40. For a comparable Nikon you would need to go with the 70-200 AF-S VR model.

Sorry...I should have also noted that the Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-S will autofocus on the D40. However, the AF-S is no longer manufactured, so would have to be bought used.

Most reactions

Back