Nikon 8008/f801

Myspacepix!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, how is the nikon 8008? I might be given this body. I will also need a nice/not terribly expensive lens. what would you suggesT?

I have that body and quite enjoy it. Nice, bright viewfinder. The motor driv eis a nice thing to have too.

As for a lens, the 50mm 1.8 is cheap and super sharp. 50mm is also a great all around focal length.

I have that body as well and love it! If you shop on the 'bay then you might look for a Vivatar series 1 28mm for a wide angle. It's manual but easy to focus and at 28mm you can catch the hyper-focal easily (10.72 feet @f8- which means that anything from about 7 feet to infinity will be in focus- ok not the absolute best count the hairs focus but great for prints). This is also great for street photography- candid if you like- as you can point the camera at yor subject without having bring it up to focus [it does take a little bit of practice]. Read about hyperfocal here

http://www.vividlight.com/articles/2314.htm

The N8008 is well balenced, takes forever to go through a set of batteries, meters well- no spot meter but if you have read your Ansel Adams you won't need it and a joy to use!

Take it and Run!

mike

how about zoom lenses, any good zooms that i could use for this body?

Any of the current Nikon AF-D lenses will work just fine on that body.

Also, the older manual focus Nikon lenses (AI-S) are available. I have a Vivitar 24mm f/2.0 wide angle that I quite enjoy shooting.

yeah i think i will probably but that 50mm lense is pretty sick. i can't wait to start shooting the camera

i also have have this body, actually as the main one. i really like it: it is not too bulky, but offers almost everything you might desire from a "semi-pro" body. the motor is fast enough to want to make the camera bulkier by having a motor drive, which in my opinion is, in this camera, a useless option -well, maybe not if you shoot sports, maybe in that case you do benefite from the couple of extra frames per second... :roll:

the spot metering (as well as a faster AF) is only available in the newer N8008s/f801s. you don't have these on the older n8008/f801. I have the newer one, and like very much having spot metering, although just occasionally i use it. but it is nice to have a light meter always with you -which is what spot metering gives you. as far as the faster AF, i couldn't say, since i never had the older model to compare. the AF in the newer one is quite fast, and i've read that nikon's then upgrade, the N90, was only slightly faster AF than the N8008s/f801s

the rest: love the viewfinder, the controls... everything is just where i want it to be, and can use it without getting my eye off the finder. in short, one of the best nikon bodies ever, in my opinion, of course ;) . wouldn't change it. and you can get it for no money!

as for the lens, i believe that this one used to come with the 35-70mm f3.5/4.5, which was already a nice option: plastic, of course, but compact and reasonably sharp... and good-looking with the camera! I myself had one of these until my girlfriend sit on my camera bag :cry: -that wouldn't affect a full metal lens, of course, but that's another story!

i second the 50mm f1.8, which i also have and am happy with. a 50mm is always a must-have. and then you can go zoom or whatever

well, good luck with the camera and enjoy it! it's a wonderful toy :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back