Nikon 85MM 1.4 on D200? or ??

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ronnie_blackii, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ronnie_blackii

ronnie_blackii TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I switched from Minolta, Old School Minolta, to Nikon due to changes in technology and just all around personal choice..With this lens the 85MM AF 1.4 will i gain focal length on the D200? if so would a lower MM be a better bet due to the long focal slowing the lens down? From what I read some lenses you gain focal length, I think...So the 85 would be more like a 127MM on the D200? My question would it be a good purchase? even if Im using a 18-200? Low light would be great but again that longer focal length would slow the lens down right? The other idea would be a 50MM or lower 1.4 and keep the 18-200, any other ideas on this issue? Thanks
    Ronnie

2. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The maximum aperture does not change with the crop factor. Your lens will be equivalent to a 127mm f1.4 in old 35mm format terms. It is up to you to decide if 127mm is too long for your purpose. What do you want to use the lens for?

3. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi Ronnie. What are you trying to accomplish with the 85mm that you can't do with the 105mm in your list?