NIKON 85MM F/2.8 D PC-E MICRO

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any thoughts on this lens? Seems like it could be a fun piece of equipment and I have been wanting an 85mm for some portrait work.

Kinda expensive for a portrait lens, isn't it?

I've never been a fan of pc lenses. I understand their function, but at 85mm, you're probably not going to get much distortion that needs correcting that you can't do in post. At wider angles, it makes more sense.

Kinda expensive for a portrait lens, isn't it?

I've never been a fan of pc lenses. I understand their function, but at 85mm, you're probably not going to get much distortion that needs correcting that you can't do in post. At wider angles, it makes more sense.

You're looking at it wrong. At these lengths it's for fun and wonderful perspective control, and not altering or correcting. For making razor thin DOF's. Or the opposite. I for one have wanted a Tilt-shift lens for a loooooooooong time.

You're looking at it wrong. ..........

Actually, I'm looking at it perfectly correct.

PC lenses don't do anything I need a lens to do.

You're looking at it wrong. ..........

Actually, I'm looking at it perfectly correct.

PC lenses don't do anything I need a lens to do.

I think your perspective needs some correction... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Christmas is coming up soon.......... you could get me one for a gift.
ded_moroz.gif

If all you're doing is portrait work you're wasting $1000. You'll be farther ahead with the 85mm 1.4G, or even the 1.4D. Heck, if you really wanted to pinch pennies, you could get the 1.8D for around $350 (used) and have enough left over to buy a new body. I agree with Sparky that at longer focal lengths PC or T/S lenses become less relevant. The 28 and 45mm versions would be useful for architectural work and similar but if it's people you're shooting? Save the dough.

Last edited:
If I were to buy a lens strictly for portraiture, I'd get the 105 f/2 DC.

But I suspect the OP is looking to do more than just take pictures of pretty girls.

it wouldnt be strictly for portraits, but for being able to control the focus for more "artsy" things while still having the ability to act as a portrait lens. Granted I am not looking TOO heavily into getting this lens but was kind of intrigued by it while I was browsing a local shops used inventory. I have used Canons version but it was very limited and beyond that I havent seen or heard much about them.

Wish I knew you were interested in one. The local camera store had one brought in to sell on consignment. I think they were asking $1250 for it, and it was in perfect, pristine condition.

The one here is ~1400. For that much though I may end up going a different route lens wise but I just thought this may be an interesting option

Good lens when you need more depth of field for close-ups and nature/landscape work. Better optical performance at small apertures than almost any type of lens for 35mm systems. Read Bjorn Rorslett's reviews for insights into the 85mm PC Nikkor's design parameters. Being able to adjust the plane of focus and the resulting depth of field in one-shot, in-camera situations is kind of the reason this type of lens still exists. Still...kinda wonder if the 45mm focal length might not actually be more-useful for a lot of situations. I think the 85 PC-E would be kind of an awkward portraiture lens. Definitely a rent before you buy kinda' lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back