Nikon AF 70-300mm f4-5.6G

Hey I've got that lens :D
From what I understand (correct me everyone if I'm wrong)
Is that it's kinda like a "D" lens just a cheaper build and no apeature ring.
(sorry for my spelling, been a long day and my mind is starting to shut down)

I like it for the most part, I was curious too about them and for the price of the "grey" market one I thought what the heck.

Feels cheap and it's pretty hard to use it as a manual focus lens seeing the focus ring is very sloppy.

Hope this helps.

exactly right, lens is inexpensive, not real smooth at manual focus, but darned good value. the glass itself is pretty good. and you just cant beat the price. i like mine.

Fullpower said:
exactly right, lens is inexpensive, not real smooth at manual focus, but darned good value. the glass itself is pretty good. and you just cant beat the price. i like mine.

I may be wrong but I think I gave like 100 bucks for the import model though B&H. Can't believe my local camera shop sells that lens for $199!
We've had more than one discussion about that :roll:

What I find funny is that the D-version is about $250 and then the next step up is llike $600! Seems as if this focus is the last one affordable and then they all cost a bunch when you want them over 300mm!

Axel said:
Why is that? Is it that much more costly to make a lens above 300mm?
There's no consumer lens after 300 mm... and all of them (afaik) are fast and professional lenses, meaning better image quality.

So, when you want a fast quality telephoto lens... it's MUCH harder to manufacture.

Take a look at something like 400mm f/2.8:

186152.jpg

It's more costly to manufacture a 6 inch diameter lenses, with the best quality... or to grow a fluorite crystal that size and then grind it for the ultra low dispersion properties....

Also... the market for that lens is purely professional and so that adds to the cost of course :p

The fact that they are fast explains it very well... So there are no lenses after 300mm that are not SO slow? If so, why? Oh well, I guess the regular consumer doesn't care about lenses after 300mm and there is no market for them...
Thanks Frank!

What's the definition of a professional lens and a consumer lens?

the defining parameter is Quality. the measuring unit for Quality is Price.
mass market consumer grade glass is cheep. Those earning a living with a given class of tools will naturally obtain the best they can afford.

Fullpower said:
mass market consumer grade glass is cheep. Those earning a living with a given class of tools will naturally obtain the best they can afford.

So what's the price limit then? At what price point does consumer become professional? :?

Ant said:
Fullpower said:

So what's the price limit then? At what price point does consumer become professional? :?
It's not price. It's different markets.

Look at the 70-300 or 75-300 consumer zooms:
All of them share the same characteristics:
1) Rotating front element. You can't effectively use them with polarizers
2) They're slow. You can only use them outside, with bright sun
3) They're plastic
4) They're painfully slow to focus
5) They produce soft images. No point enlarging beyond You get chromatic aberrations... etc... etc... etc...
6) You can't isolate the subject from the background...
7) The lens extends and compresses, letting the dust come in...
8) blah blah blah
9) to get decent image quality you have to stop down to f/8 or f/11

Now you take something like 70-200 2.8 professional zoom.
1) Sharp all the way... even wide open.
2) The front element doesn't move at all. Attach filters all you want... No dust...
3) Fast focusing. USM/HSM motor...
4) Decent build quality...

You'll feel the difference when you have "pro" lens and "consumer" lens.

As to the prices? I dunno... depends on brand/lens

Most reactions

Back