Nikon af-p lens firmware?

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Google not helping me with this one.

Are Nikon going to do some computer magic to allow existing Nikon users who do not have the newest cameras use these af-p lenses? The new 10-20 looks ok and is about as much as I'd like to spend on a wide angle, but apparently on a d7200 vr is permanent on, which ain't great for tripod use.

I wonder will they do a horrible marketing trick here and only make the new bodies fully compatible, seems like these lenses could improve the Nikon video side on dslrs

No
From all I read you will need a newer camera that supports the AF-P lens features. If you notice they mostly do away with switches on the lenses thus the camera has to support not just the menu interface but the logic control chips or whatever to support that with the lens.

The new lenses are much better for video apparently.

This is a real bummer. Was one of the reasons I bought a NIkon, as you can use older lenses, and what do they do, they bring out new lenses that don't fit my brand new d7200 a couple of months after I buy the camera- FFS!

This is a real bummer. Was one of the reasons I bought a NIkon, as you can use older lenses, and what do they do, they bring out new lenses that don't fit my brand new d7200 a couple of months after I buy the camera- FFS!
So far all the lenses are lower end.
On the upper end they may keep the switches and everything on them, and they may be fully compatible.

But they're clearly lowering the cost of the lower end to further compete and making more of a differentiation to the mid and higher end. Just have to wait and see what they do.

I don't think the AF-P lenses are an upgrade for upper end DX cameras. The only cameras I think that have had upgrades for these lenses are the D3300, D5300 and D5500.

I don't think the AF-P lenses are an upgrade for upper end DX cameras. The only cameras I think that have had upgrades for these lenses are the D3300, D5300 and D5500.
Also the D500 ... there's your *upper end*.

I've been thinking about getting the 70-300 AF-P for my D500 due to low cost and supposed fast autofocus. Used in non-pro situations and it's small-ish. Though it's not compatible with my D750 at all for an FX image circle. So I may get a Tamron 70-300 VC instead though I really wanted to try the cheap AF-P lens as it's $100ish non-VR used.

Last edited:
From
AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED | Interchangeable Lens from Nikon

The number of cameras compatible with both lenses is limited. Even for compatible cameras, firmware update may be required*. Fully compatible models: D7500, D5600, D5500, D5300*, D3400, D3300*, D500 and later models

Compatible models with limited functions: D5, D810 series, Df, D750, D7200, D7100, D5200, Nikon 1 series with the FT1

Incompatible models: D4 series, D3 series, D2 series, D1 series, D800 series, D700, D610, D600, D300 series, D200, D100, D7000, D5100, D5000, D90, D80, D70 series, D3200, D3100, D3000, D60, D50, D40 series, film cameras

Also the D500 ... there's your *upper end*.

I've been thinking about getting the 70-300 AF-P for my D500 due to low cost and supposed fast autofocus. Used in non-pro situations and it's small-ish. Though it's not compatible with my D750 at all for an FX image circle. So I may get a Tamron 70-300 VC instead though I really wanted to try the cheap AF-P lens as it's $100ish non-VR used.

By upper end I meant the D7200, D7500 and D500. I think there are better lenses available for these cameras (and even the D3XXX and D5XXX) than any of the AF-P lenses available. I was trying to say the fact that the D7200 is not compatible with the AF-P lenses should not really be an issue.

Oh ... the current AF-P are not considered upper end lenses.
I thought you meant the lenses are not compatible with upper end cameras such as the D500, which they are.

they have plastic mounts, are light weight but supposedly are super sharp and fast AF. Hopefully good stuff even better and faster for the "better" AF-P lenses in both DX and FX arena.

Well they haven't yet, but I sure hope they do. Especially since it's safe to say they're developing more AF-P lenses. I mean, I've got a two year old camera (since release, and only one year in my hands) that I can't fully use these lenses with? Garbage. And I'm really interested in that 10-20mm too.

So far all the lenses are lower end.
On the upper end they may keep the switches and everything on them, and they may be fully compatible.

But they're clearly lowering the cost of the lower end to further compete and making more of a differentiation to the mid and higher end. Just have to wait and see what they do.

YES, SO FAR the AF-P lenses have been ones like the 18-55 and the 70-300 (both with and without VR) models,and from what I saw in a brief demo, these ARE an upgrade in performance terms from earlier models. Read the Thom Hogan review of the D3400 with the 70-300 AF-P VR: outstanding performance in image quality and focus speed and sureness...pretty impressive for a lower-level lens.

Good way to sell new cameras HUH? hahaha

Last I read, you can select VR off by in body command of an appropriate camera.

Most reactions

Back