Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4 IF-ED

birdbonkers84

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone got any experience with this lens, is it sharp? is it heavy? how's the auto focus on it? Considering getting a 2nd hand one.

Has anyone got any experience with this lens, is it sharp? is it heavy? how's the auto focus on it? Considering getting a 2nd hand one.
I've read nice things, and seriously considered getting one prior to settling on my (very) heavy 200-500.

It's a very respectable lens. I have a 300 f/2.8 and for a while considered buying a 300 f/4.0 just for carrying convince. If I find one at a reasonable price used one and good working order. I will buy one!

It's one of the best lenses I have owned, unfortunately it didn't last long, when I sent it to Nikon they explained it got a nasty fall. I bought it second hand and the af intermittently did not work, it worked when I tested to buy it.

If you can find a good second hand one, I'd recommend it

Since you are in Scotland I don't know if this will help or not, but both my 300mm f2.8 and 200mm f2 I got used at this time of year. Both were purchased from the local photography shop and both had been traded in by a parent of a teen that had played sports in high school and had just graduated. Both were in excellent condition.

You might also watch here. Refurbished Camera Products | Used Cameras, Lenses & Flashes | Nikon No used 300 f4 currently.

Last edited:
The design has been around for decades. It is a proven product by thousands of pro photographers. I had the f2.8 but I was younger and stronger then.

Since you are in Scotland I don't know if this will help or not, but both my 300mm f2.8 and 200mm f2 I got used at this time of year. Both were purchased from the local photography shop and both had been traded in by a parent of a teen that had played sports in high school and had just graduated. Both were in excellent condition.

You might also watch here. Refurbished Camera Products | Used Cameras, Lenses & Flashes | Nikon No used 300 f4 currently.

Been following them on ebay, literally just missed out on one because I couldn't type my bid in fast enough lol.

Not sure what the VAT would be but you might checkout KEH as well as the used section at B&H.

The one thing you will get with either of these as well as Nikon refurbished is a warranty as well as being able to return the lens if you have in issue with it. Ebay is iffy at best for warranty or returns.

I have done well on Ebay in the way past (over 15 years ago). Today there are so many scammers and Paypal guarantee is no true guarantee either. I second Keh. I have purchased and sold to them. You will not get highest price selling to them as they have to turn around and resell the items for a profit. So, I don't hold that against them. B+H, and Adorama are also trustworthy.

I had the 300 f/4 AF-S for about 15 years...a VERY fine lens...autofocus is good, but not stellar; read the Thom Hogan review for a complete rundown on it! I had the 300/2.8 AF-S Mark II (the lightweight magnesium barrled model) concurrently with the f/4 lens for a decade or so; it focuses MUCH faster and MUCH more-emphatically than the 300 f/4 does. Still--the 300/4 is good, plenty sharp, and was the lens I used much more-frequently because it CARRIES so easily in a nylon sling pouch.

Works decently with the TC14e or TC14e-II for a 420mm f/5.6, but the focus DOES GET "nervous" when the 1.4x converter is added. Still--even with the 1.4x added, this is sharper than many long zooms.

This lens is a good focuser, but not 99.5% reliable on fast action, like the 300/2.8. Bur for most uses, the 300/4 is pretty good. Sharp, easy to carry, easy to stow, light in weight. It's hard to explain the focusing of this lens: jittery is one word some people might use...it's not bad, but it's perhaps something like 95% focus-reliable on fast action; it CAN hunt a bit at times, or drift a bit, which is different from the 300/2.8 or 200/2 models which are more like 99.5% focus-reliable on fast action.

What I mean is: take the 300mm f/4 AF-S to a track meet and shoot 800 frames with it: there will be 5% of those where the focus might not be spot-on...or 40 frames that could be at issue...something along those lines...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, may the hunt continue :)

Got one off ebay for £490, arrive today lighter than my Tamron, which is nice, can't wait to take it for a spin!

is it sharp, just ask the turkey.
Image 12-11-16 at 5.44 AM.jpg

Most reactions

Back