Nikon and Sigma? Help!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by CaitlinsCreations, Jan 28, 2009.

1. CaitlinsCreations

CaitlinsCreations TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, so I am ready to upgrade my old stuff and plan to buy the Nikon D300 soon. I really want to get a 70-200 lens, but the Nikon brand is pretty $$$
    Does anyone know if the Sigma 70-200 is fully compatible with the D300? It's half the price, and I have heard that Sigma works with Nikon, so I want to double check.

I am a great photographer but have not studied a lot of equipment...I hate that stigma (no pun intended) that a professional photographer should know all there is to know about specs on every lens and camera, but it's not like you can take a class on "what to buy" or anything.

2. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Sigma is according to many, is a fantastic lens. There are a few bad copies I believe.[?]
    Sigma | 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens | 579-306

Or this
    This is the best tele zoom lens for under $1000 for Nikon. The only downside is the older AF-D. Which means the lens uses the motor thats built into the D300 and is louder than the AF-S, which uses a motor built into the lens. You also lose VR with this cheaper lens, but heh, its $700 cheaper.
    Nikon | 80-200mm f/2.8 ED AF-D Autofocus Lens with Tripod | 1986

3. CaitlinsCreations

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is going to sound dumb, but what do you mean by a bad copy? Like a few of them are not made as well as the rest?

What is VR?

4. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, as with any lens maker there are some copies of a lens that is not quite as good, or sharp as another. Sigma tends to have more complaints about that than the first party makers (I.E. Canon or Nikon)

However, for a third party lens maker Sigma usually seems to be pretty good, and this is especially the case on the 70-200 2.8. Although there are worse copies, most of them are quite good (from what I've read... I only have one copy, and it's for Canon).

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Based on these assertions why would you not spend the extra few dollars? The Nikon 70-200 is an outstanding lens, and one that any great photographer should not be without. I'm by no means a great photographer, but I love mine.

With respect to your question about "knowing all the specs", agreed, no one is going to know everything about every piece of gear, but knowing how to get that information is critical!

How about posting some of your work?

6. CaitlinsCreations

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I didn't mean to make it sound like I am full of myself or anything!

Being good at what you do doesn't mean you are also wealthy...I am a full time student as well as in the beginning stages of my business, so I can only afford so much at this point, and a loan is out of the question. I would love to get everything name brand, but wanted some opinions on if I can compromise on the price.

How do you go about "knowing how to get that information" as you said?

I am new to this forum, and will try to post some things when I have more time and am at home.

7. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    stay away from the Sigma 70-200 macro. Ive heard so many horror stories.

8. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You get what you pay for... the best Sigma 70-200 will never be as good as a Nikkor 70-200. Now, if you don't have the budget, you have 2 choices:

- Save up a little longer and get the best, your D300 will thank you.
    - Settle for pics that are not as good.

9. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Consider (as pure mentioned) the iconic Nikkor 80-200 2.8 instead. No sample variations and tack sharp. Roughly same price as the Sigma.

10. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Look into used gear; you can save anywhere from fifteen to fifty percent. I always buy used gear if I can find it... Looking into my bag, there are only four out of ten or eleven lenses that I've bought brand-new.

As far as "knowing" the information, it pays to become familiar with the product line that you use. Spend some time at Nikon's website, pick up a catalogue or two, there are some EXCELLENT 'sites on the web maintained by dedicated Nikon entheusiasts (as there are for Canon, Pentax, et al) which will tell you more than you could ever want to know.

11. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey now Jerry, play nice. I use my Sigma 70-200 all the time and it is a great piece of glass. Of course I did get insanely lucky and get a very very good copy.

But just because I buy third party doesn't mean that my photography is automatically inferior to yours.

12. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Jerry, I don't believe there is going to be many clients that are going to notice the difference between a photo taken by the Sigma rather than the Nikkor.

However, I suggest the OP buys the Nikkor 80-200 2.8 instead of the Sigma. The used on a D300, this lens will give you a FoV of about 120-300. It is also built better and sharper than the Sigma. I am currently saving up for one.