Nikon Batteries

Eastw77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I was just wondering, does anyone know if a D200 takes the same batteries as a D70 and is there any difference between nikons own brand batteries and the cheaper generic copys you can buy i.e are they as good a quality?

cheers.

Ian

D70 take EN-EL3, and the D200 takes EN-EL3e. And IIRC you can use either in either body. However, you want to make sure the charger can take it.

As for off-brand, well the usual warning apply - its not the manufacturers design so there could be issues (folks even talking about exploding batteries - Id like to see the statistic on that though) so its your risk versus cost.

They are lithium batteries. It's no secret that they can explode. Anyone remember the Dell recall on sony brand batteries, and the spontaneous combustion of some Taiwanese mobile phones?

I use a Nikon and an offbrand battery. The offbrand has the advantage of sacrificing cycle life for total charge meaning you get to use it longer in one session but they die overall sooner. Oh and nikon will not honour the warranties if an offbrand battery causes damage to your camera.

Stick with Nikon brand for all Lithium Ion batteries. With older bodies that took Ni-Metal Hydride the third party batteries would perform equal or sometimes a little better than the name brands. And yes, Lithium batteries are known to overheat and explode if not charged properly. Off brand batteries often don't have the charge limiting chip and are more prone to explode and burn.

They are lithium batteries. It's no secret that they can explode. Anyone remember the Dell recall on sony brand batteries, and the spontaneous combustion of some Taiwanese mobile phones?

I use a Nikon and an offbrand battery. The offbrand has the advantage of sacrificing cycle life for total charge meaning you get to use it longer in one session but they die overall sooner. Oh and nikon will not honour the warranties if an offbrand battery causes damage to your camera.

It was not just dell. and Toshiba might be replacing theirs again soon as well.

Most reactions

Back