Nikon battery - COUNTERFEIT!

Malone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I ordered a backup battery from Amazon and rec'd it today. COUNTERFEIT! It was not sold directly from Amazon, but one of their 3rd party sellers "Amazon Marketplace." I've bought and sold enough stuff to spot fakes when I see them (handbags and high end makeup in particular). There are some EXCELLENT counterfeit items on the market and companies do very well at replicating. Just posting this information so you guys can be informed!

These pictures were taken with my Blackberry and are awful, but you get the idea. :lol:

Authentic on the LEFT - Counterfeit on the RIGHT for all pictures.

Authentic has more defined and neater print; also not the placement of the 3 grip marks.

IMG-20110715-00031.jpg

Hologram (hard to see in the picture) have slightly different markings; the authentic one reflects color in the light, counterfeit only reflects gold. Again, the print is not consistent.

IMG-20110715-00032.jpg

Authentic battery has a "15021" stamped into the top left corner, counterfeit has "XL." I am not sure exactly if this is a serial number or batch ID; regardless, any manufacturer would not have such differences in identical items.

JeffersonSouthwest-20110715-00035.jpg

Battery back protector - the left (authentic) has an injection mark made during molding as well as "PP" stamped (polypro would be my guess coming from an automotive injection background), the right has neither of these markings. The circular marks on the outer edge also differ.

JeffersonSouthwest-20110715-00041.jpg

Why do you need to buy "nikon" batteries anyway? I buy generic ones and they work great.

Why do you need to buy "nikon" batteries anyway? I buy generic ones and they work great.

It's not that I have to have name brand, but if they are marketed as Nikon and have the pricetag to match, I expect to get what I paid for.

The dishonesty is what is bothersome.

If they put as much effort into creating a quality battery as they did in making it appear to be something it isn't, they'd be much better off.

Who have you contacted besides us, maybe the seller is unaware?

Yes, I informed the seller. I was just posting this as an FYI.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but using off brand batteries may void your warranty if they are to leak? Same goes for off brand grips.

Yes, I informed the seller. I was just posting this as an FYI.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but using off brand batteries may void your warranty if they are to leak? Same goes for off brand grips.

Technically, yes, your warranty will be voided.

The funny thing is im pretty sure you stress test the battery against your "real" nikon and you wont see the difference.

I run off brand batteries in my D80. Got them on Ebay for $6 each, and they are just as good as the Nikon battery that came with my camera. There is no difference in performance.

When the Nikon ones are $45-50, And I can have 8 or 9 off the off brand ones for the same price, I know what I'm choosing.

Wow that's crazy... Are they legally allowed to do that?

Technically, yes, your warranty will be voided.

I'd rather ensure my warranty than to save $15..

15 bucks?

EN-EL3E are 89.99 and the knock off one are 11$ thats alot more than 15$ of saving.

I used over 10 off brand batteries in my dsrl's and they never "leaked" lol

I understand why you'd be upset, not getting what you paid for. But the off-brand batteries I used in my Canon actually work better (can get more shots per charge) than the authentic Canon's and they cost about half as much.

The funny thing is im pretty sure you stress test the battery against your "real" nikon and you wont see the difference.

I run off brand batteries in my D80. Got them on Ebay for $6 each, and they are just as good as the Nikon battery that came with my camera. There is no difference in performance.

When the Nikon ones are $45-50, And I can have 8 or 9 off the off brand ones for the same price, I know what I'm choosing.

Again, I simply posted this as an FYI.. Not to debate whether an off brand battery is just as good as name brand. If you choose to save a few bucks and go off brand, that's your choice. But I will not trust a manufacturer that is obviously sketchy to be producing replicas.

I have two 3rd-party batts for by D60, but OEMs for my D7K only because no one makes EN-EL15 aftermarkets AFAIK.

But I've never had a problem with the 3rd-party batts for the D60, and they're 3 years old.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back