Nikon battery - COUNTERFEIT!

I just wanted to appreciate Malone for his post, which helped me today. If i had seen his post 1 and half year ago, i would have appreciated him then.

And also wanted to share my experience with generic batteries after reading posts by others telling him (Malone) not to worry about batteries being genuine vs counterfeit.

Yeah, I'd go with Wasabi Power. I got two batteries, extra charger, and a cigarette plug-in to charge the batteries on Amazon.com for $40 something. The price for one Nikon battery. They work great too!

All the suggestions for third party batteries completely missed the point... and still continue to completely miss the point.

Which is better or which he should want, or whether you'd suggest a third party or an OEM all have no relevance to the matter at hand.

*IF* the OP *WANTED* to get a third party battery, he easily could have for far less than the cost of the fake "Nikon" from the vendor. However, he did not want to. He wanted an OEM Nikon battery and that is what he ordered.

The ONLY issue is that he ordered a Nikon (say $55) and got a generic (say $10), which is fraud, theft by deception. It doesn't matter if this particular battery works, or even if this particular battery works BETTER than an oem one.

The only thing that matters is that he didn't get what he paid for. And he took the time to let us know that someone tried to swindle him, and how any of us should check to make sure we don't get swindled when buying an OEM battery.

I'm happy this post was revived and up on the front page. It's quite doubtful I would have ever been searching "cheap knockoff counterfeit batteries" and it was interesting to see the side by side shots. When you look at the views/replies ratios on posts one might be happy there is any interaction.

I completly understand your feelings, you paid for OEM and you expect OEM and not some knock off. However, Nikon may be using a different manufacture now than the one that made the original battery. That could account for the differences you see.

I completly understand your feelings, you paid for OEM and you expect OEM and not some knock off. However, Nikon may be using a different manufacture now than the one that made the original battery. That could account for the differences you see.

This happens often not only in cameras but also in cell phones and other devices. There are many reasons why batteries change i.e. different manufacturer, change in specs, regional differentiation, aesthetic changes, etc. Cheap knockoffs will always be sold as such. To minimize getting a counterfeit battery, it's always best to purchase from reliable sources as there is always a risk of getting a "Class A" counterfeit meaning it has the same look, feel and even performance sometimes. Also, they are often passed on (and even priced) as the original.

I did contact Nikon; they directed me here.

Of course, they cannot tell me if it is or isn't without physically inspecting the battery. They simply advised to return it to the seller if it was suspect.

Based on my experience regarding counterfeits, the hologram says a lot. Holograms needless to say are the main indicator if the product is genuine or not since it is very difficult to copy. Even with different manufacturers, holograms remain constant despite of minor changes in batch/product numbers/product color, labels, packaging, etc. And since the hologram on the right does not reflect a rainbow of colors, it is more or less an indication of a counterfeit. And do note that pirates are getting better making holograms.

To the OP. After comparing the batteries from the Nikon site, neither one of your batteries look anything like the ones on the site. Both of your batteries are way different and both holograms on your batteries have the notches.

The funny thing is im pretty sure you stress test the battery against your "real" nikon and you wont see the difference.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
That isn't the issue at all, nobody is saying that there is anything wrong with aftermarket batteries. If I am paying for OEM then that is what I should be getting and not some Chinatown knock off.

The funny thing is im pretty sure you stress test the battery against your "real" nikon and you wont see the difference.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
That isn't the issue at all, nobody is saying that there is anything wrong with aftermarket batteries. If I am paying for OEM then that is what I should be getting and not some Chinatown knock off.

Just to reiterate. The real issue here is being duped by some class "A" counterfeit/knockoff.

There are China knockoffs for the BIG nikon lenses, what should cost 7,000 + is advertised for 3500.....I am sure there are a lot more items we get taken on

Most reactions

New Topics

Back