Nikon BIG annuncement...............wait what ?

So July 25 2017 is here and we all expected a big D850 announcement, full specs and release date.

And we are getting the announcement that its being developed ?
Whats the big news here ?
Of course its being developed.
I am seriously disappointed, I am waiting for a really impressive cameras from Nikon and now announcement about product they are developing which we all know they do.

Nikon D850 DSLR camera future development announced | Nikon Rumors

What is it about the D810 that is less than really impressive?
4K, Touch Screen, Crappy Video AF, Stills AF needs the D500 system, wile for me its an overkill the market want more resolution, better low light performance and more.

I love the ergonomics of my D500, esp gripped. I wish for the D850 to have the same body layout all the knobs and wheels in all the same places and I wish for the same battery grip on both cameras

Currently with my 3 bodies d3 d600 d500 all the knobs and wheels are in different places. Not nice.

I do not really need more megapixels, but I am strong enough to cope with them if they are there.

This is my thinking. I'm ready to make the jump to a full frame body to compliment my D500.. but none of the ones currently on the market really meet my wishlist.

Being that I do a lot of event and/or night photography it's important for me that the button layout matches as closely as possible. I also don't think I could go back to shooting at night without the backlit buttons.. super nice to have.

Essentially I'll buy the D850 if it has the D500 ergonomics and backlit buttons. If it's vastly different from the d500 I don't know what I'll do.. either suck it up and have two totally different button layouts or just buy another D500 and skip going to full frame.

I never thought of it as much of a challenge to learn to operate more than one camera. I wonder how confused Ansel Adams would have been if he had to worry about backlit buttons.

I never thought of it as much of a challenge to learn to operate more than one camera. I wonder how confused Ansel Adams would have been if he had to worry about backlit buttons.

Then you've clearly not done much event shooting with two cameras. It's easy to learn multiple button layouts. It's not easy to work quickly without mixing up which camera is in your hand and changing the wrong setting, possibly missing a shot.

Can I work with two different layouts? Of course.. I always have and do now. But if I'm spending $4k on a camera body it's going to check all the boxes for the things I want it to have.

Also, Ansel Adams worked with cameras that had all manual tactile controls. They were very obviously identified simply by touch. He didn't work with modern DSLRs with dozens of buttons that largely all feel the same. Backlit buttons allow you to work without a flashlight thereby allowing you to keep your night vision in tact while you shoot.

And again I never said these things were necessary. But if I'm spending almost $4k on a camera body, it better have more than just what's neccesary.

Then you've clearly not done much event shooting with two cameras. It's easy to learn multiple button layouts. It's not easy to work quickly without mixing up which camera is in your hand and changing the wrong setting, possibly missing a shot.

Can I work with two different layouts? Of course.. I always have and do now. But if I'm spending $4k on a camera body it's going to check all the boxes for the things I want it to have.

Also, Ansel Adams worked with cameras that had all manual tactile controls. They were very obviously identified simply by touch. He didn't work with modern DSLRs with dozens of buttons that largely all feel the same. Backlit buttons allow you to work without a flashlight thereby allowing you to keep your night vision in tact while you shoot.

And again I never said these things were necessary. But if I'm spending almost $4k on a camera body, it better have more than just what's neccesary.

I've done event photography with more than one camera for longer than you have been alive. I know what Ansel Adams used. I attended one of his workshops in Colorado. I also know what a backlit button is. I'm expressing exasperation at how modern photographers are consumed with camera features rather than photography.

To counteract the backlighted buttons, etc.. and the different control layouts, the easiest way is to pick a body, and to stick with two, identical model cameras. Or to shoot with just one camera, and wear a shoulder bag or wasit-pack or somesuch device, and shoot old-school, with press-twist-dump-pick-up-mount-twist-click....you know, actually swapping out lenses, which takes 3-4 seconds to do if you've got the right working type of camera bag.

I have shot hundreds of events with two cameras. My honest opinion is that a person can shoot better many times with just one. I now prefer to shoot with just ONE camera, and no more than five lenses. For a whole day, five lenses is plenty, and three is better.

I dunno...muscle memory, menu-memory, where-did-they-move-my-cheese? as Hogan writes about...fricking Nikon...they change critical controls a LOT between the models, but worse is the menu system, and where some features are located within the menu morass.

I do like the ability to push the power-on button,and get the LCD screens to light up in the soft green glow color when working in low-light situations. But I have never had a backlighted button camera like the new D500.

My idea of low-light and night light-up is a one-battery small flashlight...yes, I am that old. Or a Bic lighter...again, old-school here. I guerss backlighted buttons is the new-fangled latest and greatest; it might be worth more than old-timers like fmw and me think it is. I will not argue its worth, since I have not had the change to shoot with that feature.

Nikon does yo-yo the danged menus and control button locations wayyyyyyyyy to damned often between the models. I really loathe the D610's button layout. NOT a fan of how they built the camera, but the sensor performance is good, but the AF system is much weaker than a pro-level body's AF system. But...whateves, right? But that ISO button location.Grrrr.

I think the 850 or 810 might be the best all-around 36-MP bodies to buy two of, and get to learn 100% inside and out. In the film era, the Nikons were 100% interchangeable, F3 to FE-2 no probs...in the d-slr era, not so much. One camera is easier, because it focuses your attention more on the scene, less on the gear, and you don't constantly have to even think about switching between rig 1 and rig 2, you shoot whith Rig 1 Only, when you NEED a lens change, you change lenses. Of course, if you're stationary, and/or tripod-mounted, two side-by-side cameras is easy to handle and to go between the wide lens and the long lens.

Last edited:
This is my thinking. I'm ready to make the jump to a full frame body to compliment my D500.. but none of the ones currently on the market really meet my wishlist.

Being that I do a lot of event and/or night photography it's important for me that the button layout matches as closely as possible. I also don't think I could go back to shooting at night without the backlit buttons.. super nice to have.

Essentially I'll buy the D850 if it has the D500 ergonomics and backlit buttons. If it's vastly different from the d500 I don't know what I'll do.. either suck it up and have two totally different button layouts or just buy another D500 and skip going to full frame.

Oh those D500 backlit buttons are so handy. When I had it attached to my telescope it was very nice.

Keep in mind that it's a pro body, so the D8x0 should work just fine. Nikon always changes something slightly. If you check the D810 and D500 top left buttons you'll find them different. But hopefully the changes to the D500 will mostly move over to the D850.

I found myself on the D750 and D600 to accidentally press the wrong buttons when the ISO was on the bottom left. I found myself changing the Quality by accident from time to time, or something else. The locations were close but not exact so it threw me off from time to time. Then I programmed the D750 record button (top right) to ISO so it made it much more easy.

But you'll find a definite advantage adding a FF for 2 bodies. Matter of fact for Event's you'll probably prefer it. The D500 for me was good for anytime the 1.5x crop or high FPS and tracking was needed. Other than that the FF did everything else.

Most reactions

Back