Nikon Calibrates their LCD screens?

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm giving serious consideration to the D3s. On the Nikon website it states:

3-Inch Super-density 921,000-dot VGA LCD Monitor
D3S monitors are individually calibrated during assembly to assure accuracy.

Does that mean they calibrate the LCD for color? Or are they talking about some other type of "calibration" and the LCD monitor still isn't to be trusted for proper color rendering?

I'm giving serious consideration to the D3s. On the Nikon website it states:

3-Inch Super-density 921,000-dot VGA LCD Monitor
D3S monitors are individually calibrated during assembly to assure accuracy.

Does that mean they calibrate the LCD for color? Or are they talking about some other type of "calibration" and the LCD monitor still isn't to be trusted for proper color rendering?

I can not imagine that they're calibrating for color. Which color space would they use?

Even if the LCD is calibrated its still tiny! If you need in the field colour calibration checks I would get a good laptop and use that instead - far bigger screen area and not too hard to port about.
Not saying its not a good feature to have, but it wouldn't really be a deal breaker in my books

It's not a deal breaker or even a feature I would necessarily make a purchase decision on. I was just curious if Nikon really paid that much attention to detail.

I know Canon doesn't.

Yes, they do. The difference between my D90 and D300s is ridiculous. The non-calibrated D90 LCD is terrible. I had started out under exposing shots because the LCD was making shots look a little washed out and over exposed. It's nice on the D300s being able to get accurate review and make the correct adjustments if needed.

Yes, they do. The difference between my D90 and D300s is ridiculous. The non-calibrated D90 LCD is terrible. I had started out under exposing shots because the LCD was making shots look a little washed out and over exposed. It's nice on the D300s being able to get accurate review and make the correct adjustments if needed.

Hey, don't rain on my parade. I'm hoping to get a D90!

I'm giving serious consideration to the D3s.

I'm curious. If you go that route, will you replace your Canon gear or will you maintain duplicate systems?

The investment in lenses and other accessories is typically a deal-breaker when someone thinks about switching brands.

Okay... I probably made it sounds worse than it really is... but after taking the SD card out of the D300s and looking at the same picture on the D90, I guess I should say how impressively accurate the D300s is in comparison to my calibrated monitor instead of saying that the D90 is bad in any way.

If I compare my D90 to my D5000 it's about the same difference. The D5000 looks pretty terrible next to my D90.

Okay... I probably made it sounds worse than it really is... but after taking the SD card out of the D300s and looking at the same picture on the D90, I guess I should say how impressively accurate the D300s is in comparison to my calibrated monitor instead of saying that the D90 is bad in any way.

If I compare my D90 to my D5000 it's about the same difference. The D5000 looks pretty terrible next to my D90.

I have a D80. I'm strictly an amateur but family members depend on me and a second body is probably a good idea. I'm stalling until the price drops a bit more. For me, the main benefit to the D90 is noise (or lack thereof).

I'm curious. If you go that route, will you replace your Canon gear or will you maintain duplicate systems?

The investment in lenses and other accessories is typically a deal-breaker when someone thinks about switching brands.
I would dump everything and completely switch.

I've made my decision and placed my order. So I guess I don't have to worry about it anymore.

:D

o_O anyone ever tell you that your impulsive?
And have way too much disposable income ;)

inTempus, coming over to the Nikon side.

I would dump everything and completely switch.

I've made my decision and placed my order. So I guess I don't have to worry about it anymore.

:D

Seriously InTempus? Even with all those Canon lenses?

EEEEEEPPPPPPIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCC SWITCH !!!! win.

pm me about selling your 5d m2 and 24-70 if your interested in not selling it all at once. i''m just curious on a price.

You're jumping ship???? Holy cow. But what about the new 1d Mk IV? That thing is a monster. Going to sell everything? What about the website? You're nuts! The d300s is amazing, but nothing to jump ship about, at least, not with the kind of money you have invested in Canon. Carry on.

Most reactions

Back