Nikon Camera Recommendations

redpumps12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've had the Nikon 3200 for about three years now. I purchased it because I was on a budget. I bought the two kit lens (which now I never use) instead I use af-s nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens. It works great. I mainly shoot portraits as well as flat lays. I know the Nikon 3200 is just a beginner camera, so I'm looking to upgrade my camera. I love having a nice blurred background (which the 50mm lens does quite nicely) but I wanted it to be even better. So would you recommend a full frame camera? or should I get the Nikon d7200? Please leave your recommendations below.

I've had the Nikon 3200 for about three years now. I purchased it because I was on a budget. I bought the two kit lens (which now I never use) instead I use af-s nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens. It works great. I mainly shoot portraits as well as flat lays. I know the Nikon 3200 is just a beginner camera, so I'm looking to upgrade my camera. I love having a nice blurred background (which the 50mm lens does quite nicely) but I wanted it to be even better. So would you recommend a full frame camera? or should I get the Nikon d7200? Please leave your recommendations below.
Welcome!

A larger sensor will make the DOF somewhat thinner, but frankly, you get the total effect by considering all of the variables together. The variables are:

focal length
aperture
distance
sensor size

You could obtain a longer lens with a wide aperture, such as the 85mm f/1.8. Figure about $500 for a used example. If you had a larger budget, then go longer.

Nikon D7200 is a nice upgrade but I doubt you will see a huge improvement in image quality or low light performance, main upgrade will be in features and the bigger and better made body.
If you want to get a better image quality and better low light performance then full frame will do the trick, it will also give you a better blurred background.
For best results get a full frame camera like the D610 or D750 with fast lenses.
For portrait the Nikon 85mm 1.8G is a great option for relatively reasonable price.
The 50mm you have will work just fine on FX body but for tight head shots you might want the 85mm 1.8G

If you go to full frame your going to need new lenses (except the 50mm). The 7200 will allow you to use your current lenses. And your 50mm will still have the same effect as a 75mm (decent portrait length). If you go into the full frame realm, your probably going to want to get an 85mm for portraits (or longer). The 7200 will give you the body AF drive, so that opens up a world of used Nikon AF lenses! The 7200 is about 15% better in low light than your 3200 (going by Dxo testing results), has better dynamic range (dark to light capability), and higher color performance.

The D5500 will be better than the other 2 in low light. But about the same performance in dynamic range and color performance.

If your ok with buying a used DSLR. Look into a D600. The upgrade over the D3200 will be night and day. Especially in low light! More than several stops better in low light than the D3200. Again your kit lenses you already say you don't use much will still be left at home. Your 50mm will actually be 50mm and you will want to get a longer portrait lens. For about same price as a new 7200 or 7500 a used D800 will get you full frame with very good low light and the larger MP with very good dynamic range and color performance. The D600 wins low light performance than the cameras listed in this post! To date only 3 Nikon cameras beat the D600 in low light performance and they all have smaller MP sensors (not even the D610 is better for low light).

What's your budget? And what exactly are you looking for? If it's simply DoF, then post #2 answers it.

Most reactions

Back