NIKON CLS

Yuichisuke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have an SB-28 & a D70s
I was considering buying an SB-800 or SB-600
Is it possible to keep my SB-28 on my camera while I have my SB-600/800 off camera with both firing? I'm new to the flashes, thanks in advance!

CLS uses an infrared optical wireless transmission method to trigger off camera speedlights.

The SB-800 has a mode called SU4 that allows it to be triggered optically, but the SB-600 doesn't. SB-800's aren't made anymore so used is about your only option for acquiring one.

There are accessories that can be added to the SB-600 that allow it to trigger from a visible flash of light. Sorry no TTL or remote communication with the SB-600. http://flashzebra.com/products/0129/index.shtml

Many people are going to triggering off camera flash using radio triggers.

you have a d70s, it's got commander mode which can set off the SB-600 or SB-800! you can choose whether or not the pop up flash affects the exposure. while it's not gonna be as good as your sb-28, the pop up flash and a sb-800/900 are the only flashes that can act as a commander with Nikon CLS.

if you wanna use the SB-28 and SB-600/800 at the same time, you're probably gonna want a set of radio triggers, ebay has a bunch of cheap, relatively reliable ones.

Thank you very much!

Is it possible for the SB-800 & SB-600 to be used off camera and the D70s being the master? I was considering selling my Sb-28 and buying both SB-800/600

I was looking at the cactus V4's.
Do they work well with Nikon speedlights & cameras?
For the receivers do they have a hot shoe mount to mount onto a light stand?

Last edited:
Thank you very much!

Is it possible for the SB-800 & SB-600 to be used off camera and the D70s being the master? I was considering selling my Sb-28 and buying both SB-800/600

I was looking at the cactus V4's.
Do they work well with Nikon speedlights & cameras?
For the receivers do they have a hot shoe mount to mount onto a light stand?
That's what Patrick just said. Just put your D70s in Commander mode while the pop-up flash is up. (Which I should also have mentioned.)

The Cactus triggers are reliable enough for amateur work and there are others pretty much just as good.

I know several amateurs that have been using these:
ISHOOT PT-04 C Wireless Flash Trigger PT04?2 Receivers - eBay (item 270395680462 end time Apr-17-10 21:17:10 PDT) and they screw right onto a light stand.

Earlier tonight I saw another seller that had the same set for only $41.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know several amateurs that have been using these:
ISHOOT PT-04 C Wireless Flash Trigger PT04?2 Receivers - eBay (item 270395680462 end time Apr-17-10 21:17:10 PDT) and they screw right onto a light stand.

Earlier tonight I saw another seller that had the same set for only $41.

Not just amateurs :)
Few weeks ago, buddy of mine wanted me to test these units out in the field and give him feedback. So I shot an engagement party (portrait part) using my sb800 and sb600 in manual mode. Sure I could have CLSed it but it was an interesting experiment. After portraits, I went back to quantum radios for room lights.
If using these little guys, just don't forget to turn the auto-standby option OFF on the speedlites, otherwise you'll have to press the TEST button to keep on waking them up.
Actually this weekend I'm doing a small engagement shoot and will probably be using these little radios again with sb600 and 2sb800 all in manual modes.
They are a bit more reliable then CLS when light is placed BEHIND the subjects :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually this weekend I'm doing a small engagement shoot and will probably be using these little radios again with sb600 and 2sb800 all in manual modes.
They are a bit more reliable then CLS when light is placed BEHIND the subjects :)

CLS is pretty reliable in portrait situations, you just have to angle the body of the flash with the side with the sensor towards your camera/other flash. But yeah i dont use it much as im shooting outdoors with far flash distances alot of the time.

based on the situation I like to back~light my subjects and at situations as such b/c the sensor isn't seeing the preflash, especially when I'm using a shoot through umbrella, CLS isn't very reliable.
I'm hoping Nikon will make CLS via radio frequency rather then flash detection, but affraid they'll boost their prices EVEN HIGHER :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back