NIKON CLS

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Yuichisuke, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Yuichisuke

Yuichisuke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I have an SB-28 & a D70s
    I was considering buying an SB-800 or SB-600
    Is it possible to keep my SB-28 on my camera while I have my SB-600/800 off camera with both firing? I'm new to the flashes, thanks in advance!

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    CLS uses an infrared optical wireless transmission method to trigger off camera speedlights.

The SB-800 has a mode called SU4 that allows it to be triggered optically, but the SB-600 doesn't. SB-800's aren't made anymore so used is about your only option for acquiring one.

There are accessories that can be added to the SB-600 that allow it to trigger from a visible flash of light. Sorry no TTL or remote communication with the SB-600. http://flashzebra.com/products/0129/index.shtml

Many people are going to triggering off camera flash using radio triggers.

3. PatrickCheung

PatrickCheung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you have a d70s, it's got commander mode which can set off the SB-600 or SB-800! you can choose whether or not the pop up flash affects the exposure. while it's not gonna be as good as your sb-28, the pop up flash and a sb-800/900 are the only flashes that can act as a commander with Nikon CLS.

if you wanna use the SB-28 and SB-600/800 at the same time, you're probably gonna want a set of radio triggers, ebay has a bunch of cheap, relatively reliable ones.

4. Yuichisuke

Yuichisuke TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you very much!

Is it possible for the SB-800 & SB-600 to be used off camera and the D70s being the master? I was considering selling my Sb-28 and buying both SB-800/600

I was looking at the cactus V4's.
    Do they work well with Nikon speedlights & cameras?
    For the receivers do they have a hot shoe mount to mount onto a light stand?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That's what Patrick just said. Just put your D70s in Commander mode while the pop-up flash is up. (Which I should also have mentioned.)

The Cactus triggers are reliable enough for amateur work and there are others pretty much just as good.

I know several amateurs that have been using these:
    ISHOOT PT-04 C Wireless Flash Trigger PT04?2 Receivers - eBay (item 270395680462 end time Apr-17-10 21:17:10 PDT) and they screw right onto a light stand.

Earlier tonight I saw another seller that had the same set for only $41.

6. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not just amateurs :)
    Few weeks ago, buddy of mine wanted me to test these units out in the field and give him feedback. So I shot an engagement party (portrait part) using my sb800 and sb600 in manual mode. Sure I could have CLSed it but it was an interesting experiment. After portraits, I went back to quantum radios for room lights.
    If using these little guys, just don't forget to turn the auto-standby option OFF on the speedlites, otherwise you'll have to press the TEST button to keep on waking them up.
    Actually this weekend I'm doing a small engagement shoot and will probably be using these little radios again with sb600 and 2sb800 all in manual modes.
    They are a bit more reliable then CLS when light is placed BEHIND the subjects :)

7. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    CLS is pretty reliable in portrait situations, you just have to angle the body of the flash with the side with the sensor towards your camera/other flash. But yeah i dont use it much as im shooting outdoors with far flash distances alot of the time.

8. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    based on the situation I like to back~light my subjects and at situations as such b/c the sensor isn't seeing the preflash, especially when I'm using a shoot through umbrella, CLS isn't very reliable.
    I'm hoping Nikon will make CLS via radio frequency rather then flash detection, but affraid they'll boost their prices EVEN HIGHER :)