Nikon D-90 vs Canon

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I apologise in advance if this question has been asked frequently, but I can't find anything.

Does Canon make a body that is comparable to Nikon's D-90. I know both companys produce good glass, and I don't care about the D-90 movie function. What is important to me is metering, in camera editing (correction), features, ease of use. I like the face recognition and the scene recognition library of the D-90. Getting overeall technically good photos in auto mode, as well as using manual features that won't confuse a middle of the road competent amature who is not a technocrat but will enjoy learning the camera. My interests are general and broad. Everything from macro to architecture to landscape. From technical to creative. The Canon's website critiques are often rather negative, while the Nikon's are generally glowing. I know it's hard to be objective, but I will highly value any comments from folks who are familiar with both brands.

Many thanks to you all for the great guidance you've given me thus far.

Tom Beard

Last edited:
If you want point and shoot features like face recognition in a DSLR, Nikon is the way to go. Canon mid-tier to upper tier cameras focus more on the serious hobbist/professional buyer that doesn't want or use such features. That includes things like in camera editing of images as this is typically done (and more effectively) on a PC.

The 50D does offer face recognition in the 50D when using Live View (which is one step above the D90 in my view) but I would say the feature isn't as evolved as Nikons.

As far as IQ, it's a wash.

So I would buy based upon what you think you need today including face recognition and in camera editing. Get the D90, it's a great camera.

Sorry to bud in, but it sounds like your saying Nikon is more for amatures, so let me clear things up. Yes mid to high tier canon is for the serious hobbist/professional buyer, and so is nikons mid to high tier cameras. Infact all camera makers mid to high tier are for hobbist/professional buyer.

Sorry tharmsen I know its not what you said, but its how you organized your words that make it sound it.

NOPE!

This is many product cycles behind the d90.
D90's sensor is equivilent to there high end crop which is the D300.
XSi sensor definitely not comparing to a 40D/50D
To me the D90 doesnt have a clear competitor from Canon.
But the closest thing to say would be to say that a 50D is right inbetween a d90 and a d300

but XSi, i'd say no.

The Canon Rebel series is the rough "equivalent" of the D90. The two brand's consumer/prosumer lines don't exactly sync up perfectly.

Oh boy that quoted text is hilarious. Anyone who is poo-pooing the D90 because of the face recognition system is spouting Brand Loyalty rhetoric. The poopooed face recognition system is ONLY active in Live View mode, and anyone who actually has used Live View mode will know that ANY autofocus technology is good technology when using LV.

I also don't understand why people insist on comparing the 50D to the D90. The D90 should be compared to whatever Canons top of the line Rebel is at the moment.

ALL of these cameras will give you stunning images if you have the right lens mounted on it.

I apologise in advance if this question has been asked frequently, but I can't find anything.

Does Canon make a body that is comparable to Nikon's D-90. I know both companys produce good glass, and I don't care about the D-90 movie function. What is important to me is metering, in camera editing (correction), features, ease of use. I like the face recognition and the scene recognition library of the D-90. Getting overeall technically good photos in auto mode, as well as using manual features that won't confuse a middle of the road competent amature who is not a technocrat but will enjoy learning the camera. My interests are general and broad. Everything from macro to architecture to landscape. From technical to creative. The Canon's website critiques are often rather negative, while the Nikon's are generally glowing. I know it's hard to be objective, but I will highly value any comments from folks who are familiar with both brands.

Many thanks to you all for the great guidance you've given me thus far.

Tom Beard

you cant go wrong with nikon or canon, around the $1000/1400 price point there is the sony alpha a700, canon 40d/50d, nikon d90 .... canon 40d is a great choice ... i have a 30d myself, canon has a wider selection of lenses and its high end glass is equal to that of nikon ..... the d90 is around the same price as 40d ... but the 40d stomps the d90 in the testies (sorry nikon fans) ..... BUT the d90 MIGHT be easier to use ... then again i cant speak for what would be best for you! so get off your lazy bum and hit up you local canera shop and see what feels better in your hand and what SEEMS easier to use. the ONLY reason i would want a d90 .... is the 11 points of auto focus (canon gives 9poaf).... but if you manually focus, who cares? what are you going to shoot ... and the canon xsi is the best camera under $1000 .... although i only deal with sony, canon, nikon, and olympus .... some people like pentax, every pentax i ever used felt cheap and didnt take great pics (but im sure there high end stuff is good) BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! get out and look at differant models, but stick wioth nikon and canon :sexywink:

NOPE!

This is many product cycles behind the d90.
D90's sensor is equivilent to there high end crop which is the D300.
XSi sensor definitely not comparing to a 40D/50D
To me the D90 doesnt have a clear competitor from Canon.
But the closest thing to say would be to say that a 50D is right inbetween a d90 and a d300

but XSi, i'd say no.
NOPE! to your nope. The 50D is a prosumer camera. Neither the D90 nor the 450D are.

Lets see......Product cycles......I wonder how you define a product cycle....
The XSi (aka 450D) was released 1/24/2008.
The D90 was released 8/27/2008.

That pretty much puts them in exactly the same product cycle as the high end of both product lines entry level cameras.

Check out Canon's newest release, Canon T1i. I believe they did this to go up against the Nikon D90 but now it may conflict with the D50.

isn't it the rebel series pitted against the d40/40x/60 series of nikon?

and the 40D/50D series are the equivalent of the D80 and D90?

I believe D80/D90 stuck in between the entry level and the prosumer level.

Check out Canon's newest release, Canon T1i. I believe they did this to go up against the Nikon D90 but now it may conflict with the D50.

i sell cameras ... if you want a good slr ... these are you choices in order ... canon xsi/nikon d90/canon 40d/50d ... the new t1i is lame ... xsi has better feel too me and the video looks good but choppy, digic 4 processor doesnt seem better ... video,15mp,and iso 3200 .. not a big deal! never seen the d90 vid. but using the t1i for vid is as good as buying one of those "flip" cameras i keep hearing ppl ask about, only with decent resolution

Last edited:

The D40 is the bottom, then the D60 and Canon XS seem fairly matched, then you go up to the Rebel series, then just a titch up to the D80/90, then a big jump to the Canon 50D, then a titch up to the D300.

All of the Canon mid consumer/prosumer camera's use the same sensor, they simply change the site configurations.

It's the same sensor, xsi, 40d, 50d, and if what they say is true actually happens Canon is actually going to try and pack 18mp onto it, they think they can make it work.

Myself i couldn't give a **** because these posts really piss me off, the only thing that matters is what is behind the veiw finder

Most reactions

Back