Nikon D-90 vs Canon

NOPE! to your nope. The 50D is a prosumer camera. Neither the D90 nor the 450D are.

Lets see......Product cycles......I wonder how you define a product cycle....
The XSi (aka 450D) was released 1/24/2008.
The D90 was released 8/27/2008.

That pretty much puts them in exactly the same product cycle as the high end of both product lines entry level cameras.

Go read about the sensor specifications. 7 months is a LONG time in the photography product cycles. The D90 is considered a mid-range SLR or as you put it "prosumer" camera. My job sucks, but I work in a major chain with sections specified to "Consumer" "Prosumer" "Professional" and Nikon tells US where to put there cameras. As does Canon obviously.

Just want to throw this out there. The Nikon D90 has a metal body. The Canon XSi has a plastic body. The D90 has a pentaprism, and the XSi has a pentamiror.

This makes the Nikon "feel" more professional, and the viewfinder will have a brighter image.

In order to get to this level, you would need to upgrade to the XXD level of Canon, so a 30D, a 40D, or a 50D.

In terms of features, like megapixels, and the fact that the Nikon does video, I think you're looking at the new Canon T1i.

But for just taking photos (remember when that was ALL a camera did?), the XSi will produce something similar in quality to the D90, and it will be a few ounces lighter.

Myself i couldn't give a **** because these posts really piss me off, the only thing that matters is what is behind the veiw finder

While I agree that the 12 inches behind the viewfinder are the most important part of any camera (-- credit: Ansel Adams), you might have found a friendlier way to say this to the new forum member who asked, instead of biting the newbie.

Last edited:
Just want to throw this out there. The Nikon D90 has a metal body. The Canon XSi has a plastic body.

Um, the D90 has a plastic body too. ??? I personally think it feels more robust than the XSi, even with a plastic body, but this is just a matter of preference. Either way, they're both great cameras and you'd be satisfied with either decision.

The D90 is considered a mid-range SLR or as you put it "prosumer" camera
The D90 is a consumer plastic body. The D300 is a prosumer metal body.

Yeah I unfortunately know a poor D200 which never found it's way out of ProgramAuto mode. I think every time someone clicks the shutter on that thing god kills a kitten
:lmao: :lmao:

WOW!

I didn't mean to open a can of worms but really enjoyed the "spirited discussion" my question generated. Thank you all for for your teriffic responses. I think the most important thing I got from your comments is that the most important part of the camera is what's behind the view finder. Whatever I wind up with, if he photos come out lousy, instead of complaining about the camera, i'll just go see a shrink who likes photography. Many thanks, Tom Beard

Most reactions

Back