Nikon D100

KaleyEs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is the D100 even worth buying or is it so outdated that there's no point anymore? Should I consider the D80 more, or is the D100 a good compromise in terms of saving a bit of money?

Go to Dpreview and compare them side by side. The D80 is a far better camera but the D100 will take very good photos and has a more robust body. It's really up to you and your bank account.

mike

The D100 will be used and the D80 new, I assume. You didn't mention prices but I think I'd opt for the new D80 unless the used D100 is a whole lot cheaper.

yes, you're talking about big differences as far as prices are concerned. you can buy a (second hand) D100 for less than half the price of a (new) D80.

but then you're also talking about two different "levels" of a camera: the D100 is (was...?) a semi-pro body, whereas the D80 is a (high level) amateur one. This DOES matter -although people tend to forget about such difference, focusing exclusively on the strictly digital upgrades of newer bodies.

I myself made a lot of research and thought before deciding to go for a D100 over a D70. See here why I opted for the D100:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83163

Basically, the D100 is a "better body", and the D70 (not to mention the D80!!) is a more technically advanced camera. Almost everyone prefer the D70 -again, not to mention the D80; check it here:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82438&highlight=convince

I myself chose the D100, tough, for the reasons I specified on that first thread I link. Consider the differences and try to see which ones matter more TO YOU.

By the way, one thing that somehow proves that the D100 is not totally outdated is the fact that it's going at still quite high prices at ebay (I still couldn't get mine, since it's not easy to fit it in my budget!!). It goes more expensive than the upgraded D70. I guess that says something. Well, maybe we all are stupid, but I would rather consider the D100 to be a perfectly capable camera.

On the other hand, I insist: if minor things like having in-camera buttons for changing metering don't matter much to you, and others like a great flash syncro speed do matter, forget about the D100 and get either the D70 or, if you can afford it, the D80.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

the d100 imo aint worth half the price, the advancements in noise reduction, colour, raw technology, ccd, af etc are huge, even between the d50 and d80 are quite noticable. try out both i guess to really see the difference

Thanks, that really helped. Panocho, have you started using your d100 yet?

Thanks, that really helped. Panocho, have you started using your d100 yet?

Not yet. Buying second hand (particularly digital) is not an easy task -specially when you have a limited budget, as I have, and still obviously want to buy as securely as second hand allows. Anyway, I think I'm very close from getting mine now. I'll post my opinion here when I finally have it in my hands and start using it.

But let me insist on this: my preference over the D100 does not imply any belief on an objective jugdement on the D100 being a better camera than the D70 or D80. I really encourage you to write down on a paper the advantages and disadvantages of each camera (price included) and then decide what weights more for your necessities. That's what I made, as I explained here, and the only reason for having chosen the D100. Had my needs been others, no doubt I would have chosen the D70 as a better camera. Remember: what makes a better camera is how much it fullfils your requirements, and not what others say, no matter how connoiseurs they may be ;)

I also am considering the D100 or th D80 cause I dont want to spend the price for the D200 and then wind up dropping it in the lake, crying and causing a flood. Thinking that perhaps the D100 body is more rugged then the D80. That being said I have an old Minolta 3.3 megapixel that I have abused fairly well and it is still going strong so perhaps I am a bit to paranoid.

I feel like if I spend the bucks for the D200 I will treat it like a baby. A cheaper cam I could haul everywhere, leave it under the car seat or whatever. That would also leave me more lens money. My current nikon lenses were used on an FM2 and are all manual. Then again that D200 is well sealed, but how well do these digital SLR's take bumps & brusies?

Then there is always the question, if I spend the bucks for the D200 isn't it going to be outdated next year anyways?

Do not buy a D80 and expect to use your manual lenses on it. They do not have the aperture control pin in their mount, none of the metering systems on the D80 will work with your lenses.

Buy the D200, it won't be obsolete in a year. If you plan on using it on a lake, for heaven's sake put a housing on it...

In order of my preference with respect to the cameras mentioned. D200, D100, D70s, D80. Personal preferences only. I dislike the 80 mostly due to the mem card it uses. I personally only want a camera that uses a compact flash card. The D100 I like much more than the 70 or 80 due to it's more robust construction. It is a perfectly capable camera for all but the most demanding high end work. I have seen double truck centerfolds done with this camera and printed in national mags. Very capable. If you need more than that, go with the D200 or D2Xs.

Personal preferences only. I dislike the 80 mostly due to the mem card it uses.
Whilst I accept this is a personal preference, the argument over card type really is a non-issue now that cards are so cheap. In the UK about £10 gets a 2GB SD card which is good for 140 raw images on a 10 megapixel camera. There must be other reasons why you don't like the D80?
My view on the question of D100 vs. D80 is that we have to accept that modern electronic devises will have a finite life. As such, the second-hand D100 is already part way through its finite life...and you don't necessarily know how well it has been treated. The D80 will have a manufacturers warranty and you will know how well it will be treated during its life. So for me the decision would be D80 in preference to D100. However, if I knew that I would always be thinking "I wish I had bought the D100 instead because it has a semi-pro body and ..." then I would wait a few months until I'd saved up the money to buy a D200. Then there would be no regrets.
Mike

Just a word on "outdated" cameras: in my view, a camera is not outdated just because a newer one has appeared. It may not be a correct understanding of the word "outdated" but I definitely believe is a correct understanding of cameras.
Only when updates go together with your needs a camera gets really outdated. Otherwise, there may be newer and far more technically advanced cameras, but that doesn't mean other cameras are just not to be taken into consideration.
I've gone for a D100 (just bought it -not yet received it, though... can't wait!) and to me it's fairly updated: up to my needs. Only wish I had the flash syncro speed and metering with older lenses of the D200. Otherwise, updated enough.

Most reactions

Back