Nikon D200 Issue

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dpolston, May 26, 2010.

1. dpolston

dpolston TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have an unusual issue I have noticed of late. I shoot twin D200's on photo shoots. These cameras were bought a few years apart but are identical in that they are set up the same way using grips, camera settings, time and all of the other things. BUT I bought new 4 gig cards the other day, formatted them both and noticed that on Large, High, JPEG settings one camera reads 671 available images, the other reads 440. This struck me as odd so I switched the cards with each other (thinking it was a card thing) and got the same readings.

Has this happened to you all and if it did, would a master reset fix it?

David.

2. emh

emh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you entirely, completely sure all the settings are the same on both cameras? :)

I remember seeing somewhere that the D200 has a JPEG setting besides size and compression quality that affects file size. I believe it has to do with capped file sizes vs. variable file sizes. I'll try to dig up some reference for this...

If both cameras have the exact same settings, including the JPEG file size thing I mentioned above, the only thing I can think of is maybe the two cameras have different firmware versions. Perhaps the newer one does better JPEG compression or something. How many available pictures do they show if you select RAW?

Do both cameras show the same number of available images for your old memory cards? In other words, is this difference only showing up with your new cards?

EDIT:
    Found it! Check out the "Quality" section of the following article (emphasis in quote added by me): Nikon D200 User's Guide
    More detail in the "JPEG Compression" section here: Nikon D200 Shooting Menu
    See also the interesting note on a firmware defect (although that in itself may not explain your observations) at the bottom of that section!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Those numbers are only rough estimates since the actual file size of each image varies by what is in each scene and what menu options you have selected in the camera.

I don't think there is a problem with either the cameras or the cards.

Do you capture all your images as JPEG Fine files?

4. dpolston

dpolston TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay... the 'optimal quality' thing is new! I'll have to check that out. And actually, I did notice the number thing on older cards too but I shot 2 gig cards until recently on Medium, Fine, JPEG. Most of what I was shooting for was for the internet. I decided to go to large because of a seasonal contract for my local amphitheater. That's when I bought the 4 gig'rs and noticed the big number differences. I never shoot RAW so I didn't notice that (I am at work and don't have the cameras so I can't check now).

Keith, you're completely right with the estimated numbers. I have shot 750 shots on a card that said I was only going to get 450 onto but these are completely empty, formatted cards. And yes, I do shoot everything in JPEG Fine.

Since it was put out there, I have never updated the firmware. I'm going to assume this is long overdue right?

David

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It looks like the Optimal Quality setting only applies to JPEG Basic?:

6. dpolston

dpolston TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bummmpp

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  7. dpolston

dpolston TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It was the 'Optimal Quality' thing. One was set for 'Size Priority'. Thanks! Mystery solved!