Nikon D200 w/ Japanese interface only??

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by NOXVJ, Jan 30, 2007.

1. NOXVJ

NOXVJ TPF Noob!

I just ordered a Nikon D200 and recieved an e-mail requesting my telephone confirmation. When I called, the associate told me the (body only) D200 package is a factory sealed replacement, entirely in japanese. He said the buttons are in Japanese and that the interface language is in Japanese ONLY. He was trying to get me to upgrade to the first "USA" model for 2,000 dollars more...I denied and said I am fluent in Japanese (I'm not). Was I right in thinking his story was 100% bogus or should I expect what he said when I recieve the Camera? I've never heard of such a thing.....

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Where did you order it from?

There are many, many 'bait & switch' scams for cameras...especially the expensive DSLR cameras. It's very typical for them to take your order, then call you to say it's back ordered or something...they want you to upgrade or buy accessories at inflated prices.

Check out this site...for a rating of most stores. www.resellerratings.com

If it was me, I would cancel the order and order the camera from B&H or Adorama...both have links here

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Get out of that deal QUICK! That is a typical Bait and switch scam. I'd even consider cancelling the credit card you used.

As already posted.. check resellerratings.com

There are Dozens of scamming online camera stores.

4. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    from what they told you...i can tell this is a total scam....the D200 body is not even worth $2000..and they charge you $2000 to upgrade to a US version....total madness

5. NOXVJ

NOXVJ TPF Noob!

I ordered it from CCI Camera City ,through Shop Cart USA...On the phone CCI said the camera was in stock, there was no problem sending the body only, and to expect delivery in 3 weeks....

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Checked BBB and resellerratings for CCI Camera City out of Brooklyn NY. My recommendation is Run away... real fast.

7. AUZambo

AUZambo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  8. Oldfireguy

Oldfireguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    B&H body price is around $1440. Like all the others have said, get out and go the other way.

9. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

OK I'm going to admit to being completely ignorant on this topic... is this really legal?

10. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

It is not a crime in the U.S. It is illegal in that people have won lawsuits against companies that engage in bait and switch. The most famous suit happened against Sears, Roebuck and Co. in the early 1970's when the company pleaded no contest and, through a consent decree, lost over $1 million in civil penalties because they advertised vacuum cleaners that were not available and would not be available.

In other words, the principles of the company would not go to jail but they would likely lose a lawsuit and lose whatever civil penalties were awarded by the court.

Cretins like this make it bad for all the rest of us who make a living in e-commerce. I hope you will report this outfit to the NY Attorney General's office. They may not do anything about, but, with enough complaints they might. You would be doing everyone a service if you reported them. These kind of people need to change what they do or go out of business.