Nikon D200 w/ Japanese interface only??

NOXVJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just ordered a Nikon D200 and recieved an e-mail requesting my telephone confirmation. When I called, the associate told me the (body only) D200 package is a factory sealed replacement, entirely in japanese. He said the buttons are in Japanese and that the interface language is in Japanese ONLY. He was trying to get me to upgrade to the first "USA" model for 2,000 dollars more...I denied and said I am fluent in Japanese (I'm not). Was I right in thinking his story was 100% bogus or should I expect what he said when I recieve the Camera? I've never heard of such a thing.....

Where did you order it from?

There are many, many 'bait & switch' scams for cameras...especially the expensive DSLR cameras. It's very typical for them to take your order, then call you to say it's back ordered or something...they want you to upgrade or buy accessories at inflated prices.

Check out this site...for a rating of most stores. www.resellerratings.com

If it was me, I would cancel the order and order the camera from B&H or Adorama...both have links here

Get out of that deal QUICK! That is a typical Bait and switch scam. I'd even consider cancelling the credit card you used.

As already posted.. check resellerratings.com

There are Dozens of scamming online camera stores.

from what they told you...i can tell this is a total scam....the D200 body is not even worth $2000..and they charge you $2000 to upgrade to a US version....total madness

I ordered it from CCI Camera City ,through Shop Cart USA...On the phone CCI said the camera was in stock, there was no problem sending the body only, and to expect delivery in 3 weeks....

Judging from the BBB web site and the sketchiness of your confirmation call, I'd get out of that transaction if it's not too late....and go with Cameta Cameras if you're determined to use a NY based company.

Here's BBB's review on CCI Camera City:
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/businessreports.aspx?pid=44&page=1&id=48302

Here it is for Cameta Cameras:
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/businessreports.aspx?pid=44&page=1&id=18367

Good luck.
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/businessreports.aspx?pid=44&page=1&id=48302

B&H body price is around $1440. Like all the others have said, get out and go the other way.

OK I'm going to admit to being completely ignorant on this topic... is this really legal?

OK I'm going to admit to being completely ignorant on this topic... is this really legal?

It is not a crime in the U.S. It is illegal in that people have won lawsuits against companies that engage in bait and switch. The most famous suit happened against Sears, Roebuck and Co. in the early 1970's when the company pleaded no contest and, through a consent decree, lost over $1 million in civil penalties because they advertised vacuum cleaners that were not available and would not be available.

In other words, the principles of the company would not go to jail but they would likely lose a lawsuit and lose whatever civil penalties were awarded by the court.

Cretins like this make it bad for all the rest of us who make a living in e-commerce. I hope you will report this outfit to the NY Attorney General's office. They may not do anything about, but, with enough complaints they might. You would be doing everyone a service if you reported them. These kind of people need to change what they do or go out of business.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back