Nikon D200

Modsiw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just recently got a D200 and I have noticed that if you clear out the memory card, the file names are also reset. I have previously worked with Canon digitals and they assign sequential numbers for filenames, but it seems with a Nikon, if you offload the memory card, the next batch of pictures will have the exact same series of file names. Is there any way to specify more unique naming conventions? (like having the sequence continue until it loops or using date variables in filenames?)

Read your manual for more details. The D50 has the feature, so I'm sure the D200 does. Be sure to turn on the setting in the menus that enables the "advanced" options, and then it's under the File Naming Conventions settings.

Custom setting D6 will set the way the file number sequence works. Page 159 of your manual. You can also set custom file names, the standard DSC can be changed to something that means something to you. Look for "file naming" in the manual.

I have a weird manual... it almost looks low-quality photocopies.... I got this camera from FedEx's web site from Etronics.com -- I'm beginning to suspect they sold me a camera with some dubious source... the software disk looks homemade and doesn't have the "united states" as an option for country during install, and the manual is crude, with page numbers partially truncated, so it's been a pain going through it. However, the camera seems fine. Anyone come across weird grey-market looking equipment like this?

Call Nikon with the serial number and they can tell you where the camera came from. Nikon also has a downloadable manual on their site.

Six weeks later: one more reply, one more question.

We are having the same problem (Nikon D200 resetting the File Number to zero after format, delete images or new card) with all three of our D200s.

The instructions for Custom Setting d6 on page 159 aren't helping. The setting of "Off", "On" and "Reset" ALL still set the file number back to zero on all of our D200s.

There is a little asterisk on the menu display next to the "d6". I'm guessing this has something to do with what ever is preventing us to keep the number sequence going. I can't find anything about the asterisk or how to solve this problem in the manual.

Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix this numbering glitch?

Thanks,

Situation solved.

The D200's custom menu "d6 Custom Numbering Sequence" DOES work as the manual says (No = numbers reset to zero every time, Yes = maintain number sequence after format, new card etc; Reset = maintain sequence, but reset to zero first).

The trick is that the FILE NAMES keep sequential numbers, but the PLAY BACK IMAGE NUMBER (what you see on the display screen on the camera back) simply shows what is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc image on the camera.

So, the number you see on the camera back, isn't the same number as the Digital File Name.

Clear as mud, right?

Most reactions

Back