Nikon D2X / D2Xs color profiles

MrLogic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I notice that Nikon, Adobe Camera RAW... and DxO Optics Pro all have D2X color profiles (for other bodies). Does anyone know if there are visible differences between the 3?

i'm sure there's differences. Funny thing is none of them are totally spot on, even the nikon one is off :p

Definitely!

Each company has it's own idea of how colours are rendered. The strange purple tone my camera puts on the sky is one of the reasons I stopped processing RAWs with Capture NX and switched to Adobe CameraRAW which used the ACR3.4 profiles at the time, though I reduced green saturation.

Then when Adobe switched to Adobe Standard the green tinge was gone. But now skin tones lean to the magenta. (grrr). Anyway I finally thought screw it all, and made my own profile for the camera using Adobe's DNG profile creator.

DxO optics naturally has its own idea of how to render colours.

Definitely!

Each company has it's own idea of how colours are rendered. The strange purple tone my camera puts on the sky is one of the reasons I stopped processing RAWs with Capture NX and switched to Adobe CameraRAW which used the ACR3.4 profiles at the time, though I reduced green saturation.

Then when Adobe switched to Adobe Standard the green tinge was gone. But now skin tones lean to the magenta. (grrr). Anyway I finally thought screw it all, and made my own profile for the camera using Adobe's DNG profile creator.

DxO optics naturally has its own idea of how to render colours.

Uh... I was talking about the color profiles that are supposed to "mimic" the 3 basic in-camera color settings (or whatever) of the Nikon D2X.

In other news... I downloaded the trial version of DxO Optics, but I can't find the Color Rendition Profiles OR the color controls in the menu. :thumbdown:

Ahh.

Somewhat still applies though. The settings in Photoshop never quite seem to match the JPEG output without serious amounts of tweaking. I imagine there would still be slight variations.

Ahh.

Somewhat still applies though. The settings in Photoshop never quite seem to match the JPEG output without serious amounts of tweaking. I imagine there would still be slight variations.

I always seem to get rather "dull" results with Photoshop / ACR versus other editing programs. Probably because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Finally found the color rendition profiles and so far DxO *seems* to do a better job than Adobe, even though only one of the three standard D2X color settings is available.

dxo.jpg

^ Interesting that the Canon 1D MK IV, 7D, 50D, 500D & 550D all have the same standard color setting (not just the "neutral" setting is available, but the standard one as well).

Seeming to do a better job is only in the realm of default settings. Pretty much any aspect of Lightroom can be tweaked, even down to the camera profiles. That's the power it provides but it's also a power people need to use.

I didn't like the out of the box settings much either, but through fine tweaking I found settings that produce an all around pleasant base result and have simply set that as my importing defaults.

One software may have better noise reduction, or better lens correction profiling, or a nicer to use interface than another, but ultimately in terms of colour or contrast it's just a matter of playing with the settings. You could even create a profile to make your camera black and white and there's nothing that Lightroom could do to return colour :)

Most reactions

Back