Nikon D2Xs VS Nikon D300

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by nikonkev, Nov 26, 2007.

1. nikonkev

nikonkev TPF Noob!

This is a really general thread, but I'm curious to see what your personal opinions are on this matter.

With the release of the D300, which retails at $1869.95 CAD* and which some claim can do 70-80% of what the D3 can, would there still be a demand for the D2Xs, which retails for double the price at $3649.95 CAD*?

* Prices taken from Nikon Canada's website.

I'm interested to know why you, personally, would choose the D2Xs over the D300 or vice versa, strongly taking the prices into consideration. I know I can go and read the specs and do a comparison, but I want to know first-hand why the consumer would choose what they choose - the major issues and concerns - so I can get an average sense of what each camera stands for, if that makes any sense. Is there any function on either camera you can or cannot live without?

If this topic seems childish to you, don't post :sexywink:

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    D300 easy. It's pretty much everything the D2X is and more for half the price.

3. nikonkev

nikonkev TPF Noob!

There has got to be more than just that. Otherwise, consumers would be crazy to even think about buying a D2Xs now. Nikon might as well take the D2Xs off their retailer's shelves.

There have got to be consumers that still value the D2Xs - I'm wanting to know why. I know that price justification isn't even in the picture anymore because, comparatively speaking, the D300 gives oustanding performance (as people say, above and beyond the D2Xs). There has got to be something else.

4. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To me the d300 is going to autofocus faster and more accuratly, have better noise control and shoot at the same rate, if im shooting in low light situations which i like to do i know the d300 is gonna provide, also that 2000 almost could be put into some awesome lenses.

5. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just thought about it and the only thing im not sure about is build quality comparison, maybe the d2xs is built tougher, other then that id say that any consumer really would be crazy to even think about buying the d2xs

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Would you rather take a Toyota Landcruiser or a Lexus RX330 into the desert?

Both cameras are designed for very different markets and can not be compared on the basis of image quality and features alone. There are plenty of professional photographers who'd rather have the significantly higher quality build, life expectancy, and durability of the professional grade camera, although admittedly the D300 does blur the lines here slightly.

7. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D2 can take more punishment and has better weather sealing. The D300 will take pix with a higher IQ and is lighter. You choose what is more important to you.

8. nikonkev

nikonkev TPF Noob!

Thanks. I still can't, personally, justify the doubling in price differences between the two, just mainly because of the body build and it's weather-withstanding abilities. I've done more research on other forums, since I've posted here, and everyone has been saying that the D2Xs isn't worth it anymore.

D300 gives higher ISO capabilities with way less noise than the D2Xs. Hopefully there won't be a problem with the crosshairs within the 50 AF-points being concentrated solely in the centre area.

Anyway, going to wait it out until next year some time before I buy the D300, in case there are firmware, or worse... hardware problems and glitches, which I hope they'll fix.

Thanks for the input.

Garbz: You are right, they are designed for different markets, but with the D300's capabilities now, which surpasses the D2Xs in many ways, it's right up there with it, how would you differentiate between these two markets now? Comparing two "different" vehicle makes here is a little unparallel, imo. But, I see where you're getting at.

9. Garbz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The point is still the same. The D300 is up and beyond in terms of output capability, but it's still not the same. It's like the difference between a sigma and a nikon lens. Image quality depends on the specific lens but for the most parts Nikon lenses will be more likely to withstand a fall, and less likely to jam, and you pay for that premium. (and I know this isn't always the case but it makes for a crude comparison)

With that in mind is the D2X still worth it? Well I guarantee many newspapers will stay with buying D2x and D2h until a comparable D3 series body reaches the market. The simple fact is the D2X does take fantastic pictures and will continue to feed an industry where reliability is more important than image quality. Much the same way as outback tour guides here in Australia are much more likely to drive a 10 year old Toyota Landcruiser rather than a spunky new Lexus. These type of people need peace of mind and not functionality.

10. nikonkev

nikonkev TPF Noob!

Retailers have said it will be nonsensical for consumers to purchase a D2Xs anymore, unless it's all about "looking cool" with it. It will be discontinued because there simply will be no "market" for it.

11. Garbz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Of course. We're not talking consumers here ;)

It will be discontinued so it doesn't eat into the D3's market share. Don't be tricked into thinking things get discontinued because there's no market share for them. They only drop back to special order items. The same thing happened with the 4th generation Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S, it was discontinued when the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S came out because it ate into it's market share. The 3rd generation 80-200mm f/2.8 AF unit is still available.

Regardless of how much companies talk about passing value onto the consumers the reality is they still won't go along with something that affects it's bottom line, but if a product is not very popular there's nothing to lose by keeping it on the shelf as every unit sold will still go towards recovering R&D costs. Now if a Pro decides to buy a D2x instead of a D3 on the other hand, that's a massive hit to the company.

12. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I assume a lot of pro's that need a rugged pro-body will be buying D3's obviously, making the D2X kind of obsolete. For sheer comparison though, I think any Photojournalist would rather have a heavy-duty, weather sealed D2X in any harsh environment than the d300. I'm sure there will be a lot of high level pro's using D2X's as backup bodies too.