Nikon d300 and d700

Well Nikon still hasnt produced a 24MP yet. Instead they chose to maximize a 12MP sensor first. Personally I only have like 2 DX lenses the rest are old AF film lenses so, the D700 will be my next toy. I will keep my D300 as well to take advantage of my zooms. What will be nice is that my primes and, other lenses will actually be their stated values. If I was invested in DX lenses then I would stick with the D300 solely but, now I can have the best of both worlds. I will never put a DX lens on a D700 either, to me that is just plain stupid.

It could all very well be just speculation, rumor, high hopes or whatever, but this is not the only place I've read of the possibility of the D900. If it comes to fruition, I think it is a very clever marketing ploy by Nikon. Time will answer the questions I guess.

Yeah I wasn't saying it wasn't. Rather I was saying I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Their earlier stance on not chasing the high res market is just marketing justifying the current product. Just look at the D300. 12mpx in an APS-C sensor. Increase the sensor size by 1.5 squared to get an FX sensor keeping the density the same, and volah 27mpx with no extra technology required :)

Although that said the fake rumours about a 50mm f/1.2 VR AF-S were also born on the DPR forums :roll:, at least the concept of a D900 makes sense even if the product numbers don't.

Wow, this thread has come on in leaps and bounds. At the start, I understood everything. Now I think I'll leave it to Mav and Garbz :lmao:.

Just one quick thing, and no offence to you when I say this, but if you're wondering what an ND filter is and how it works, and if your primary lens will be a slow super-zoom, then the D300 or D700 is NOT for you. It is very much a semi-professional or even professional grade camera, and you need to know a lot about photography in order for it to work well.

Get a D40 or a Canon XSi. It can still take stunning photographs, but it has a gentler learning curve. It has "Auto" modes that can help you out in the beginning, and when you're ready for the step to "Priority" modes or Manual, a camera like those will give you handy hints on getting great photos in those modes. And remember: The camera does not take the photo for you. YOU take it, I cannot stress that enough.

Just one quick thing, and no offence to you when I say this, but if you're wondering what an ND filter is and how it works, and if your primary lens will be a slow super-zoom, then the D300 or D700 is NOT for you. It is very much a semi-professional or even professional grade camera, and you need to know a lot about photography in order for it to work well.

Get a D40 or a Canon XSi. It can still take stunning photographs, but it has a gentler learning curve. It has "Auto" modes that can help you out in the beginning, and when you're ready for the step to "Priority" modes or Manual, a camera like those will give you handy hints on getting great photos in those modes. And remember: The camera does not take the photo for you. YOU take it, I cannot stress that enough.
This mindset just cracks me up every time I see it, which is more often than not (no offence TamiyaGuy). The assumption with these types of comments are belittling the OP and his/her pursuit of photography IMO. Look, the guy started out asking questions about top end camera bodies, so I'm not going to presume that he can't afford the price of admission. That would be a first consideration when starting the research process. Stay with your means (financially). The fact that he might be ignorant (not a slam, just means uninformed) about lenses does not dictate that his comprehension is slow either.

Why does it seem that jelousy with the depth of one's (read newbie) bank account automatically turns them into the beginner/uber consumer market? If he's got the dosh, get the man something good. There is a learning curve to all dSLR's, why go thru the paces if you want to get something that may never (you know what I mean) need to be replaced. I love spending other peoples money. :lol:

I have the D300 and love it. At this point, I can't make sense to jump ship for full frame. Too much invested in DX lenses. Maybe one day.

BTW, both the D300 and the D700 have Auto Program shooting modes just to make the break-in period a little easier for you OP. :D

I do see what you mean, but when I made the jump from a compact camera to a mere D40, I was almost totally gobsmacked, and my parents say I have a knack for learning things really quickly (not meaning to blow my own trumpet too much).

I guess I was being a bit judgemental there, and to be honest, I agree with everything you've said in that post, Kundalini. But I also agree with my first posts that I believe that a camera like the D300 or D700 (certainly the full-frame D700) is not designed to be used with a lens like the 18-200.

But yeah, if you feel that you can cope with a D300 or 700, by all means get one. I'm sure you'll be glad you made the jump to DSLR.

And to contrast the seriousness of that paragraph, boingo, boingo, whoopsie knickers. (I love Yahtzee Croshaw :p)

Hey there ain't nothin' wrong with a little D40 even if you do have tons of budget. I love spending other people's money too! :lol: There's a guy on another forum that has (no joke) a D40x and then a 17-55DX f/2.8, 70-200VR f/2.8, and the 200-400 f/4! (For the newbs, those lenses are in USD $1200, $1700, and $5000!) Yes the D300 and D700 are both "good" cameras, but does that mean the D40/40x/60 are "not good"? Nah! :) The zillions of extra features and some of the extra fringe capabilities of the D300 and 700 are only worth the extra green if you're actually going to USE them, or if you're a gadget freak. Otherwise you might as well get a cheaper body and put the extra money into nice glass instead. Tons of extra features and capabilities don't necessarily make a better photograph.

After everybody tried to tackle him, it looks like the OP got away. LOLOLOLOL

I still say that there is nothing wrong in buying the best you can afford. Neither is there anything wrong in getting someone to show you how to put it to best use.

Hey, hey, hey!
My D60 is just FINE.
er...well, honestly, I'd like an in-body auto focus motor, and a camera that can give me a better image at higher ISOs, but my D60 is FAR from junk or bad.:mrgreen:

there you go, hopefully no one will argue with you now so you can just go and buy it!

GREAT CHOICE :)

Most reactions

Back