Nikon D300 questions or maybe a different DSLR

Chevy, it's tough to recommend anything without you giving more specifics. Do you want to stick with a single "do everything" type of lens, or multiple lenses that do less at once, but do what they do better? Do you want stuff to come off the camera perfect, or are you the type that would want to mess with stuff in photoshop afterwards?
i really dont mess with P.S at all. i would like lens that come off the camera perfect.

LOL well there are some people that get a little overly emotional about things but we all have fun here so I would not worry about the fighting too much. I do know though it sometimes highjacks a thread occasionally. I do think you are making the right decision as far as the body goes though I just hope you make the right one on the glass. So what do you intend to spend for glass with this camera and do you have any thoughts on what you want price?? focal-length??.
like i said. the price aint really a concern for the glass. i just wanted some glass model number that would go great with the d300. i would like something for like everyday shooting like i can just snap some pics of my kids and family and others to get the best picture i could get.

so once i get some model numbers i will look up pricing and see what i will get :)

Chevy,

I can agree with JIP on the 17-55, 2.8. I'd love to have that one.

Based on your description of the things you're most interested in shooting, it would be a great one to begin with.

Another one to consider ... the 28-105. Much less $ than the 17-55, 3.5 - 5.6. And a lot of hardcore pros would sneer at it. But I've had one for as long as I've been shooting Nikon DSLRs, and it's still my everyday, hard working, goes everywhere lens.

That and a wide angle zoom, and I'm ready to go.

Also plan on adding a SB800 or SB600 flash.

like i said. the price aint really a concern for the glass. i just wanted some glass model number that would go great with the d300. i would like something for like everyday shooting like i can just snap some pics of my kids and family and others to get the best picture i could get.

so once i get some model numbers i will look up pricing and see what i will get :)
ah-ha, kids and family stuff. There we go. :) Like JIP mentioned, the 17-55DX f/2.8 is awesome. I have one and love it. But for indoor shooting, you'd need a flash too. The SB-600 is the biggest bang for the buck, and the D300 also has a built-in flash commander so that you can fire the Sb-600 remotely.

If you were interested in Canon, a 40D + EF-S 10-22 + EF 24-105 f/4L IS would be an awesome setup too, along with a 430 or 580 flash.

Most reactions

Back