Nikon D300s Vs. Nikon D7000

D300s Vs. D7000

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

timarp000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Some people say that the d7000 is better.
I take wildlife, macro and landscape pictures.
I will be buying a 24-85 VR , 70-300 VR and a 60mm macro. with these 3 lenses i get a $300 discount on the lenses.
Which camera will benefit my need. and which one is better in low light?

D7000 better for lowlight and most other things...
D300(s) better for sports and wildlife...

There is no right answer.. Always a compromise...

The D300s has 7fps and the d7000 has 6fps. will 1 fps make a difference? And will the D300s have better weather sealing.

Fwiw, for the most part 1fps will not make a difference, but what might is the af system in the d300... Just my humble opinion..

My personal decision shouldn't affect yours.. I'm a birder and I would pick the best AF system every time and with grip my d300 is 8FPS. I have only heard the the d7000 AF system is not as good, but that is not from my personal experience.. Plus I got a used d300 for only 550. So it was a no brainer for me. Of course ymmv..

Hmmm real tough call. But for outdoors and wildlife. My lean would go D300 as faster AF and weatherize and robust build. If not concerned about hiking & banging through the woods on a regular basis then robust comes less of an issue. And wanting landscapes in the mix then the lean goes to increased dynamic range and low light performance of the D7000.

No easy answer as can lean one way or the other till I got dizzy and fell over.

The D300s is $700 more. it it worth it?
If the d7000 low light performance is better, my how much? (1/2, 1, 2 stops)
and how much better is the AF system of the D300s?

Yes, the D300s has better weather sealing.

There are other features some may want to consider.

The D300s (D7000) has:

• 51 focus points (39)
  • 15 cross-type focus points (9)
  • can do 9 auto brackets (compared to 3)
  • has a 10-pin connector (none)
  • has a flash PC port (none)
  • has a full magnesium-alloy metal chassis (has magnesium-alloy top and back plates)

How serious into macro are you? If "meh" then you'll be fine with the 12mp. If you shoot over 10,000 macro frames a year then go with the 16mp.

How will megapixels matter anyway? i'm buying a macro lens so i dont need to crop ar anything. I take macro pics often. Again the D7000 is a better performer in low light(High ISO) than the D300s. But how much better is it?

What would you be shooting that needs better low light performance?

timarp000 said:
How will megapixels matter anyway? i'm buying a macro lens so i dont need to crop ar anything. I take macro pics often. Again the D7000 is a better performer in low light(High ISO) than the D300s. But how much better is it?

Ok. Sounds like you have it figured out that you will never need to crop a photo. Great.

Go look at photozone.de or dpreview.com -- you can even search the Internet as there are dozens of reviews of both of these cameras with ISo examples and all. Thats what I do when reading about a product i want to purchase.

"What would you be shooting that needs better low light performance?"

Landscapes, cityscapes(at Night/Sunset) an if i need to use very fast shutter speeds while shooting wildlife to freeze the action.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back