Nikon D3100

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Vesie, Oct 28, 2017.

1. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

So, we should not buy new cars that get better mileage? Should not buy smart phones and go back to flip phones. Sometimes people want the newest / greatest even if they don't need all the features of the newest greatest. Is that economical, no. But the world has not been that way for a very long time!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ive actually never seen this to make sense :p

3. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    No, it's not clear. She asked for an advice if she'd benefit more from a camera or from a new lens. She never responded to any of the questions about her experience etc., but she said she likes the camera and if it's good enough, she wanted to invest in new lenses.
    It's nice you have 40 years "behind the lens", but you obviously don't care about her as a person/photographer and you calling her a noob just proves it. Not sure how it's in US, but actually it's quite offensive.
    I don't pretend to be a smart guy, unlike someone else. I just believe many questions shouldn't be answered like "oh, I've got experience, it's like this!", but through discussion and finding out what the person actually wants, not what you think she wants. You'd be probably surprised, but those two things could be very far apart.

4. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    call the police, someone took offense for someone else on the internet!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tomasko

Photos OK to edit
    We should not buy new cars just to have the newest model. Before judging whether to buy a new model you probably should ask the person first what does he/she uses current model for, what are the expectations etc, and find out, if you REALLY need a new car/camera/whatever, or you'd benefit more from a different investment.

So that does make it right? No. If someone chooses to be like that, it's his/her problem. But to promote such behaviour?

6. Tomasko

Photos OK to edit
    I understand some people buy new things because they got bored with the old one, but to assume others are the same is just plain silly. Telling her she will suddenly start taking better pictures because of a camera upgrade is just dumb.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Instead of picking apart and scoffing at other peoples responses, why not step up and offer some advice of your own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. benhasajeep

If everyone had the mentality of only buying what you need. We would be in a very bland world!!! All our clothes would be the same color. Houses would all be the same.

I cannot agree to the argument that you should not buy something new just because you have not maxed out your previous items capability. The fact is a new camera will have a higher dynamic range, better color gamut, faster processing, better auto focusing, better ISO, and more. So, even a plain jane everyday snapshot from full auto mode just might be a better picture than from an entry level camera from a decade ago! So, even the inexperienced could probably see a difference. Now, more experienced photographers might be able to massage better pictures from that older camera. In reality if you think about it. The more you know, they less you should upgrade. And the less you know, the more you should buy a more advanced camera to have the optimal output!

9. benhasajeep

Actually thats insulting to the OP! Hey, you don't need to buy a new camera, because you will just be taking the same drab pictures with it. Just stay with the old one until you learn more! Sometimes a change can create a spark. Also with a more advanced body with better controls it just might be easier for a person to learn more.

10. Tomasko

Photos OK to edit
    No. We would live in a world where we would have things we actually need and use, instead of having things just for the sake of having the newest model. I'm not saying "don't buy xyz". I'm saying "know WHY you need a new model", because that will make your purchase decisions much better. Can you 100% say OP wouldn't benefit more from a new lens? Some people asked her (like jaomul), but obviously others don't care about the answer to those questions.

I'm still waiting for OP's answers to jaomul's, DGMPhotography's and goodguy's questions. I think it's quite irresponsible to give her "do this!!" type of answers before that. We're not talking about $10 purchases. An upgrade OP could need can be very well in $1000-$3000 range.

11. Tomasko

Photos OK to edit
    A camera is a tool. It doesn't make your pictures better, nor Derrel's, nor OP's. It's just the way it is. Yes, it can enable you to take some pictures you couldn't before, but it doesn't improve your experience and your abilities. And sure, it makes shooting easier, but for what we know so far, OP likes her current camera already. Can you 100% say she REALLY needs for instance a $1500 camera? Maybe she'd benefit much more from a macro lens because she always wanted to shoot tiny things.. Maybe she would benefit from learning flash and various techniques. She never responded to questions about that...

12. benhasajeep

I do not disagree, that there is more for the OP to learn. I have been doing it for almost 40 years now and there's lots I need to learn. But, if you take her camera and a D7200 using the exact same lenses. The D7200 will produce better pictures (given the scene). Her camera is old enough the D7200 is 3 and 1/3 stops better in dynamic range, 2 full bits better in color, nearly 50% better in ISO performance. Then you add the fact she's interested in better lenses than she has now. A camera like the D7100 or D7200 could allow her to buy lenses that could possibly save the cost of the new body vs. buying new better lenses that works with her motorless body. Now the D5xxx series would not. And that's the reason I did not mention it. I specifically went the D72oo as right now it's less than $900 as a refurb. And is still a tremendous camera, and opens a very big door for lenses. That could in the end save the OP money. And allow her to have a newer more advanced body, and lenses!

Obviously what I am saying is just suggestions. It's the OP that has any real say to the matter.