Nikon D3200 + 50mm 1.8g: Product Photography?

bryguy_ASU

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys..

Would the D3200 + 50mm 1.8G be a good combo for sharpness on product photography such as wheel rims?

If not, what lens on a budget that's similar to that lens?

Also what's the best settings for sharpness?

That set-up will be fine. There are no "best settings for sharpness." What you need is good light, appropriate depth of field for the look you want and sufficient shutter speed.

Thanks... We have the 18-55 and 55-200, but we're thinking of getting a prime lens because I was told they're sharper. Also, the DXO rating on the 50mm 1.8G appears way better than the kit zooms. Thoughts?

Get a macro lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are your shots with the 18-55 not sharp enough? Post a photo or two if you can. It might be your technique that's letting you down and not your equipment.

Get a macro lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Minimum focus distance for that 50mm is 1.5 feet. There might be times when you want to get closer to accentuate a certain feature, and having a macro lens might be nice to have.
For a budget lens, Take a look at the 40mm 2.8 DX lens. It sells for $250-$275 new. You can find them used for $225 at Keh.

Are your shots with the 18-55 not sharp enough? Post a photo or two if you can. It might be your technique that's letting you down and not your equipment.
Okay... I'll ask the boss if it's cool that we do that. Thanks for the help guys.

The 50 mm may distort wheel rims.
It would depend on your set up.

I would use a lens in the 85 mm to 135 mm range for car wheels.

Even considering the crop factor bringing the 50mm to ~70mm equivalent?

Here's the setup.. 5 continuous lighting softboxes.

Can you post a couple photos taken with that set-up?

Where will the camera be in that light set up?
If the wheels will be flat on that round support. to minimize distortion the camera will need to be directly overhead and pointed straight down.

Okay... So we bought an intervalrometer and we're going to take pics from scratch. The turntable shown in the picture takes 30 seconds for a complete 360. We're going to retake the sets 1 per sec, so 30 shots.

We are standing the wheels vertically on that turntable. Camera is elevated on a tripod pointed slightly down.

What are the best settings to minimize motion blur and expose properly at f/8?

Edit: at a high shutter speed, like 1/250 the photo gets really dark. Help please.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back