Nikon D3300 not letting me focus and recompose?

gayle23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I have been trying to use the focus and recompose technique in single servo focus setting. I'm quite new to these focus modes. I press the shutter half way with the little red light focusing on what I want it to but whenever I recompose it doesn't lock that focus and what I want goes out of focus. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm frustrated as I've been missing lots of shots in auto focus mode. Thanks.

Do you have the button on back top right labeled AF-L/AE-L. If you press that it will Lock the Focus in that situation.
pg 74 & 82 on the AF-S Single Servo mode describes what you are doing
but page 81 describes the AF-L/AE-L button ... that button always works for me and I use it often for the scenario you describe.

Hi I have been trying to use the focus and recompose technique in single servo focus setting. I'm quite new to these focus modes. I press the shutter half way with the little red light focusing on what I want it to but whenever I recompose it doesn't lock that focus and what I want goes out of focus. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm frustrated as I've been missing lots of shots in auto focus mode. Thanks.
It might be just your finger. (BAD FINGER!) I think it takes some practice to be able to press half-way, and hold that without moving your finger, while at the same time moving the frame to where you want it.

First; check your settings. Make sure of the focus mode chosen. Set your shutter to "anytime" shutter release. Turn on the focus beep. Watch in the viewfinder for the green focus dot. Do some practice while just relaxing.

It might be just your finger. (BAD FINGER!) I think it takes some practice to be able to press half-way, and hold that without moving your finger, while at the same time moving the frame to where you want it.

First; check your settings. Make sure of the focus mode chosen. Set your shutter to "anytime" shutter release. Turn on the focus beep. Watch in the viewfinder for the green focus dot. Do some practice while just relaxing.
Thank's everyone, I will try all that out tonight and see if I succeed.

Also could be the lens is on manual
See that the switch on the lens is on A/M mode and not M mode

Also could be the lens is on manual
See that the switch on the lens is on A/M mode and not M mode
Right I still can't get it to lock focus. It's on A/M mode on the lens I just checked. I'm really trying to hold my finger half down but that's not working and when I press the AE-L/AF-l button its still doesn't lock it. I notice that when I press that button AE-L pops up on the screen not AF-l. Does that mean somehow it's set to locking exposure not focus? Thanks for the advice so far.

Are you getting the confirmation beep with a solid green circle bottom left looking through the view finder.

I notice that when I press that button AE-L pops up on the screen not AF-l. Does that mean somehow it's set to locking exposure not focus? Thanks for the advice so far.
I'd say yes. Make sure of ALL your settings, including that button. I've never actually used that button myself, because it just seemed easier to use the finger that is already on the shutter release.

Make sure you actually selected the single servo m,ode and didn't just highlight it and not save the changes...it sounds like it is in dynamic mode.

Yes it could be In AF-A or AF-C Mode. It sounds like you know what your doing with focus and recompose,but its hard to guess someones knowledge of the system they are using so just In case.Here is a video that might help

Yep, and even though it says it is in a mode, there could be a software or hardware glitch that is keeping it from actually being in that mode. Try a reset. Have you been around static electricity lately with the camera? New carpets or dry air?

ok, try everything and if its still not working well there is Nikon service, they are very good, get your camera fixed and you will get it back fully working.
No need to get too worried here, that's why you have warranty right ?
**** happened, then you go to Nikon and they fix it :)

Is this camera new to you?
Did you buy it used ?

Someone could have reconfigured those buttons to do a variety of things.

I was at Bestbuy over the weekend trying a D500 and all that you mentioned didn't work.
The Release button was release only. The backbutton was AF-Lock, which you have to keep pressed.
Then it took a proper photo. I have my cameras set up differently, so it drove me crazy until I reset everything back to factory.

Read your manual for each button you are pressing, and then check each of those features on the camera to see what they are configured for.

Start at pg 133 in your manual on Setup, Buttons -- AE/AF-L button pg 143 needs to be set to anything but AF-ON. If it is on AF-ON then you have to press and hold the rear button AE-L/AF-L to obtain Focus & lock. A half release on the front top button won't focus.

Last edited:
Did you buy it used ?

I was at Bestbuy over the weekend trying a D500 and all that you mentioned didn't work.
The Release button was release only. The backbutton was AF-Lock, which you have to keep pressed.
Then it took a proper photo. I have my cameras set up differently, so it drove me crazy until I reset everything back to factory.

Read your manual for each button you are pressing, and then check each of those features on the camera to see what they are configured for.

Start at pg 133 in your manual on Setup, Buttons -- AE/AF-L button pg 143 needs to be set to anything but AF-ON. If it is on AF-ON then you have to press and hold the rear button AE-L/AF-L to obtain Focus & lock. A half release on the front top button won't focus.
Right, thanks for all responses. I doubled checked that it was in single servo mode and single point AF but still didn't work so just reset the factory settings and it says the shutter release button AE-L is on and also AF is on. So your saying that it should be off for it to hold focus with just the half release? Will give it a go. Thanks again for all the help.

Did you buy it used ?

Right, thanks for all responses. I doubled checked that it was in single servo mode and single point AF but still didn't work so just reset the factory settings and it says the shutter release button AE-L is on and also AF is on. So your saying that it should be off for it to hold focus with just the half release? Will give it a go. Thanks again for all the help.
Hmm, it doesn't let me turn AF off. Am I being dim?

Most reactions

Back