Nikon D3400 just announced

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The D3400 was just announced, from looking at the details it looks like a D3300 with few more features to make it easier to share pictures in social media, to me it looks like this is an upgrade just for upgrade sake, nothing really new here.
Same sensor
Same processor (EXPEED 4)
Same AF system

It does go up to 25600iso natively but that doesn't mean much as we all know.
Basically who ever want to buy a new really good camera then get the D3300 which I can tell you first hand is a lovely starters camera because I am sure prices will be even cheaper now on it.

Nikon D3400 DSLR camera announced: 24.2MP, Snapbridge and no 4k video | Nikon Rumors

I read someplace else too where it is supposed to be a bit more compact and lighter.

Nikon introduces D3400 with SnapBridge, big battery life claims
"
Nikon has announced the D3400, updating its most beginner-friendly entry-level DSLR. While it's a bit lighter than the D3300 that came before it, the D3400 continues to offer many of the same specifications including a 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter. Nikon says the battery is rated to 1200 shots per charge, which is a serious boost compared to the D3300's already respectable 700 shots per charge.

SnapBridge is a new addition to this line, enabling connectivity with a mobile device over Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) – though no Wi-Fi connectivity is offered. The D3400 offers an EXPEED 4 processor, 11-point AF system, 1080/60p video, 5 fps burst shooting and a 3" 921k-dot LCD, all consistent with its predecessor.

Two notable features from the D3300 have been eliminated. The first is ultrasonic sensor cleaning - time to break out the sensor swabs. And, where the D3300 had an external mic port, its successor does not.
"

Seen this and looked up a video by fro bro or whatever his name is. He said it's a D3300 with bluetooth and some new P lens for it. So, new kit glass and bluetooth, no thanks.

oh yeah
new 18-55 wtih VR and without VR
and a 70-300 DX with and without VR lens
they both have quieter focusing motors, so expect a muffler attached to them. :)

Keep in mind Nikon probably wants people to Upgrade to a better camera, keep moving up the ladder.
But they want more modern options to capture New owners and to compete against Canon, etc. When I had my d7000, the d7100 came out and there wasn't enough to warrant an upgrade. There really wasn't enough to go to the d7200 either other than much newer. I opted to upgrade to a d600 instead which was quite a large leap.

Those smalls models have come a long way since my former D40 that I started with. Sounds cool, but I'll pass.

The battery and the low powered bluetooth is really the only biggest thing, the better battery being the biggest of the two. I mean, an entry level body rated for 1200 shots on one single battery? That's pretty dang good if you asked me.

Those smalls models have come a long way since my former D40 that I started with. Sounds cool, but I'll pass.
Amen! I gave away my D5500 and tried temporarily to go back to my 'backup' D40- no go! The advances in the sensor tech are just huge.

The D40 was great for it's time, but it frustrates you once you become accustomed to the newer tech.

Why would anyone buy the D3400, unless they are a newbie or clueless ?

If you own the D3300, just save your money and when you have the money to buy two successors, buy one of the semi-pro cameras instead. Say a used D7100 ?

If you own the D3200 or D3100, I wouldnt see any good reason for an upgrade either.

Unless you own the D3100 and have yourself somehow convinced that you need 24 instead of 14 Megapixels ... you really dont, but whatever.

I don't think anyone would upgrade from any D3xxx body to the D3400. If they've owned the camera, they will be looking to a better body. I think this is mostly them keeping up with the features of the rest of the market on entry level bodies. Though the battery life is awesome.

One thing I do hope is this means they're looking at DX telephotos. With the D500 release I think there's a real market for pro DX glass. Say a $3k 300mm f/2.8? Alright, probably just dreaming there.

Most reactions

Back