Nikon D3400 v. D5300 for a beginner?

If the Choice is D3400 and D5300. Stick with the D3400. But if it's a D5600 keep reading.

I dont like this advice. Just because the D3400 is newer doesn't make it better than a D5300.

Both share the same sensor w/o an AA screen, so you need to compare features and usability.
Both shoot 5fps, and both shoot 1080p videos.
Both have the same pentamirror viewfinder.
Both use Expeed 4 for image processing.

so technically you'll be getting just about the same quality of images out of each.

The D5300, however, has the benefits of:
The articulating screen -- increases shooting flexibity
GPS -- nice feature to geo-locate all images
Wifi -- nice feature to quickly share/connect to camera
39 focus point module (9-cross type) (vs 11pt with 1-cross type) -- 39pt focus module is decent and will be better in crummy light and overall just better
Bracketing and Timelaspe modes -- nice features to have
14bit pixels (vs 12) -- important when shooting raw

if the price is the same, the D5300 is simply the better camera.

Last edited:
If the Choice is D3400 and D5300. Stick with the D3400. But if it's a D5600 keep reading.

I dont like this advice. Just because the D3400 is newer doesn't make it better than a D5300.

Both share the same sensor w/o an AA screen, so you need to compare features and usability.
Both shoot 5fps, and both shoot 1080p videos.
Both have the same pentamirror viewfinder.
Both use Expeed 4 for image processing.

so technically you'll be getting just about the same quality of images out of each.

The D5300, however, has the benefits of:
The articulating screen -- increases shooting flexibity
GPS -- nice feature to geo-locate all images
Wifi -- nice feature to quickly share/connect to camera
39 focus point module (9-cross type) (vs 11pt with 1-cross type) -- 39pt focus module is decent and will be better in crummy light and overall just better
Bracketing and Timelaspe modes -- nice features to have
14bit pixels (vs 12) -- important when shooting raw

if the price is the same, the D5300 is simply the better camera.

Question is it a better camera for a beginner?

Articulating screen - Not needed. Though 5300 has higher resolution screen.
GPS - Not needed.
Wifi - Not needed.
39 focus points may lead to confusion to new DSLR users. There is always a focus lock button (so far anyway).
Bracketing - Can be done with camera controls!
14 bit - yes advantage.

These are all nice to have features. But not needed. And the OP said it's not the same price but $120 more for the D5300. What's not mentioned is the 3 years difference between the two in terms of software and algorithms.

For $120 I don't think the D5300 is worth it. Matter of fact the D5300 should be a bit less since it's 2 versions removed from it's newest model. If the OP really does want to learn and grow as a photographer I am also looking to the future. Why spend extra money now, when down the road most likely will want a better camera once they know more. That $120 now, put away will help get that better camera a year or two down the road. That's 10% of a D7000 series body. Or 500, or even into a FX if that's the direction the OP wants to go, after learning.

There is a reason seasoned photographers scour the stats of the new models coming out. They weigh if that new model is worth the expense for the new features. But the seasoned photographers already knows what they want in a camera.

there is no 3 years difference in improvements, this is nikon we are talking about...Nikon barely makes changes between model years, look at the actually specs. I pointed out already that they both use the same exact sensor and imaging processor. Nikon doesnt improve firmware/software... The d3xxx series is without features -- all the improves go into the D5xxx series.

they are more or less the same camera, where the d5300 has the noted improvements -- mostly software/firmware...

arguing against the better AF module made me chuckle.

consider this:
the 39pt AF we are talking about, was introduced with the D7000 -- cira 2010.
the 11pt AF module was introduced with the d200 -- circa 2005.

there blows your newer/better out of the water right there.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back