Nikon D3x

There may be 1, perhaps 2 people on this entire board that could properly benefit from one, use it as intended and afford it... lol

I'm a little sad that they chose to keep up with the mega pixel race. I think they had a real opportunity to jump on the seemingly thousands of people that don't want a ton of mega pixels but even better image quality. I can't tell you how many that I have talk to that were furious about Canons chose to put 21mp in the new 5DmkII. I think Nikon had a real chance to put the final blow on it's arguable reign of image quality. Not to say that this camera won't but at 24+ mp, I believe they will have a hard time keeping the noise down at high ISO's.

I'm a little sad that they chose to keep up with the mega pixel race. I think they had a real opportunity to jump on the seemingly thousands of people that don't want a ton of mega pixels but even better image quality. I can't tell you how many that I have talk to that were furious about Canons chose to put 21mp in the new 5DmkII. I think Nikon had a real chance to put the final blow on it's arguable reign of image quality. Not to say that this camera won't but at 24+ mp, I believe they will have a hard time keeping the noise down at high ISO's.

Except they don't care about high ISO on this camera. If you're going to be working with strobes, then the addition of ISO50 is a bigger deal than the lack of higher sensitivities. Nikon wanted a camera that can play against the 1Ds3 for studio/commercial shooters who are replacing old medium format setups.

Don't forget that medium format backs are also fairly poor in the higher ranges. That said, ideally they would produce a camera that can be both excellent in studio and have a great deal of versatility, but it's my opinion that they already have that in the D3.

It is not meant to be a high iso camera. Instead of just packing more MP's into the camera and trying to jump up with a higher iso.. The focused more on making use of the extra MP's for more detail in pictures.

If this drops the price of the D3 and D700, then I'm all for it! :)

It will not. There is no reason why a D700/D3 price would drop becuase of the release of a D3x. It would be like thinking The price of a Chevy van would drop becuase Chevy released a newer version of the Corvette.

It's not happening... not that they havn't been plummeting like a stone in the last 2 months anyways! The D700 has dropped $550US and the D3 over $750US since their release.

It will not. There is no reason why a D700/D3 price would drop becuase of the release of a D3x. It would be like thinking The price of a Chevy van would drop becuase Chevy released a newer version of the Corvette.

i don't know why but that made me laugh

It would be like thinking The price of a Chevy van would drop becuase Chevy released a newer version of the Corvette.

That's a bit of a stretch! :) It's more like saying that last years Corvette's will be cheaper than this year's Corvette's... you're still talking about the top of line full frame pro cameras from Nikon. Comparing the Corvette to a Chevy van is like comparing the D3X to a D40.

I'm a little sad that they chose to keep up with the mega pixel race.

I would have agreed until I saw those sample pictures. The cropping capabilities would be VERY advantageous for print photography (assuming someone needed to crop certain shots while still maintaining quality).

I think the biggest complaint some have is its timeliness as well as its feature set not matching the price point.

I have to agree with some of the posters that the pixel race is in full flight. I agree also that there are limited folks, mostly fashion and studio pros who will benefit from this. Even with the economy as it is, the price may be too much for them.
Pure physics means that smaller pixels will give a lot of noise when you try to cram 24 million pixels in a FX format sensor.... the only other way around it would be to do what Leica has done ... new format! But then we would all be screaming since you would need new lenses. 37.5 Mp on a 30 x 45 mm sensor !!! http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/s_system
I am just hoping that, as some of you have said, the price of the D3 and D700 will come down ... I need another body!
Oh well, some folks may be trading in their D3s for D3Xs and I can pick one up cheap !!!

Most reactions

Back