Nikon D40 and focusing

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok, so I see alot about autofocus and manual focus. With the D40 is there an auto focus, especially since I'm new to SLR's, so I can just get used to looking through the viewfinder and taking pics and adjusting the zoom by hand, and eventually as I get better I can possibly go manual? Just curious. Thanks. And also, is it difficult to focus manually? Advantages to focusing manually? Thanks alot

ok, so I see alot about autofocus and manual focus. With the D40 is there an auto focus, especially since I'm new to SLR's, so I can just get used to looking through the viewfinder and taking pics and adjusting the zoom by hand, and eventually as I get better I can possibly go manual? Just curious. Thanks. And also, is it difficult to focus manually? Advantages to focusing manually? Thanks alot

The D40 will only autofocus with lenses that have a built-in AF motor (AF-S lenses from Nikon or HSM lenses from Sigma for example). Focusing manually is possible with all lenses but the viewfinder of a D40 is not really designed for manual focussing: it is fairly small and dim and does not have a split screen.

Still, don't let that put you off; both Nikon and Sigma make tons of D40-compatible lenses, both starter and more advanced. And if push comes to shove and you have an old Nikon lens somewhere, there is a small green dot at the bottom of the viewfinder that shows the image is focused correctly.

did you buy the d40 yet?

The more shallow the DOF, the harder it is to focus correctly. Mainly with lenses with a minimum f-stop of 2.0 or lower.

I did not buy it yet, I'm just trying to find everyting out about it first, so when i get it I'll be prepared.

The D40 will only autofocus with lenses that have a built-in AF motor (AF-S lenses from Nikon or HSM lenses from Sigma for example). Focusing manually is possible with all lenses but the viewfinder of a D40 is not really designed for manual focussing: it is fairly small and dim and does not have a split screen.
True, but it does have a focus confirmation dot indicator to help with manual focusing which works great.

I think you have that backwards.

Right. Haha. When Im in a hurry Ill type anythinmg. Thanks for clearing that up.

My main point is that its harder to focus when youre at an f-stop of 2.0 or lower.

Most reactions

Back