nikon d40 - canon xsi question?

4GB is really plenty, but I've been getting 8GB ones because of the video on the D90.

Really, who wants to sit down and go through more than 800 photos at one sitting? I'm no pro so for me even a couple hundred is tedius.

Then again I suppose the ADD doesn't help.

If I remember right the RAW files on a D40 are around 6-8mb a piece, if you shoot JPG they will be a lot smaller.

Ok... I've read through this whole thread, and since I was in a simliar predicament (Did I spell that right?) I've also decided to step into the D40. I was going to go with the D60, but with the money I'll save I can get some goodies to go along with it. :)
So here's MY Issue. What's a "good" recycle time on a flash? And what would be a good flash to compliment the D40?
I plan on doing mostly vacation/around town stuff, and shooting the kids inside sometimes, that sorta thing.

6-8? The RAWs on my Canon 450D are 12-20MBs a piece. >.< (That gets me around 400 images per 8GB card, but even then I can race through two of those in a full day of shooting.) Reducing the tediousness is all about having a good workflow, and Lightroom or Aperture will help a lot in that regard. I use LR to just flag the ones I want, reject the obviously bad ones, and use a "Smart Collection" to look at the flagged ones. Then I unflag the ones that just aren't good enough to my eye. Then post-process what images I keep.

If you're a hobbyist and don't anticipate doing a lot of shooting, a 4GB will serve you well, but you never know. Within the first weeks of shooting with my camera I ran into a group of dancers downtown who were performing on the street. I shot so much I nearly filled my 4GB, so I stopped at a Future Shop and got two 8GB cards; it's nice to not be worried about running out of space so that you can just shoot what you want.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Adoramas looks like a far better deal to me. But then, I'm an Canon shooter, not a Nikon, so WTH do I know? :p

Just wanted to throw a great big thank you to everyone who offered advice towards the purchase of my new toy.
I'm now the proud owner of a Nikon D40.
So thanks a ton gang. I look forward reading other posts by everyone, and hopefully helping others out as well.:hugs:

A good speedlight to compliment the D40 is the SB-600.

the better speedlight to compiment the D40 would be a SB-800. (Not made anymore)

The best speedlight to complement the D40 would be the SB-900.(replaced the SB-800)

An adequet speedlight (just barely) to compliment the D40 would be the SB-400. (Personally, I think you'd do better with a 3rd party speedlight like a Sigma.)

An SB-800 with 5, fresh Ni-MH (2000 mA) batteries, is 3 seconds.
SB-600 sameNi-MH batteries (4) 2.5 seconds.

I've been shooting all day with the 400, and so far I think it's worked out well for the money. I was going to go with a 600, but it was a TAD outside my budget. But, I have a Birthday and Christmas coming up. THAT'S when I'm going to get all the good toys. This was just to start me out. :)

Depends on your needs I guess.

I got the SB600 first and just found it too awkward on the D40 for around the house shooting. I then bought what I was originally going to buy first but got talked out of, the SB400. I loved it from the moment I opened the box, the size was great, easy to use and accomplished what I was looking for.

Contrary to popular belief I've been able to bounce the SB400 off 11 foot ceilings to produce a nice natural looking light. My primary subjects are my 3 kids and the SB400 has really helped me while being a joy to use.

I still have my SB600, in fact I have 2 of them now... but I use those for shooting through umbrellas on stands.

The SB400's worst enemy are critics who put it down that have never used one (just a general statement, not aimed at anyone here).

Most reactions

Back