Nikon D40 or Canon Rebel XT

• Total voters

photo28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
D40 vs Rebel XT:
Which would be better for me/ what is better? I hope to make a website and make prints available to order. I would like to be able to crop a good amount and still have a good clear image. I'm not very familiar with Photoshop so if one requires less touching up tell me, although I'd be happy to learn if its worth it.
I will be shooting indoor as well as out.

All information and recomandations are appreciated!!!

Looks like SLR won! Thanks for all the information, especially Bifurcator who has given me so much infotrmation on the other thread!

Also Bhoskins for the recomondations...they have made a difference as you can now see, the D40 may be my choice along with Ebay!

Go into a store and hold them both in your hands. Choose the one that feels best to YOU.

Without reading or voting your poll, ^^ what he said.

I voted XT, because that's what I have and you should get one too. ;)

Really though, like Big Mike said - just go play with them and see which one you like more.

They are both decent entry level DSLRs by the SLR makers that have dominated the market for 30+ years. Just pick one and start having fun shooting.

I voted:

• Oh gawd let both disappear from the sands of time.

But I don't think it registered my vote. :D

I got to the store and I played around with them for a while. Well, one of them.... the D40 because they did not have the XT, only XS and XSI which are way over my budget. I liked the D40, I'll have to get used to it but it was nice. I held the XS and XSI just because I thought that the XT would be somewhat similiar. I liked it to. I'm not totally sure which one and I'll have to go back but anyway thank you!

Shoot, holding it in my hands wouldn't help because I use a grip and always will... Feels much better :)

Unless they had a grip to put on it also...

I went to another store today and I played around with it. Here is my opinion so far, compared to eachother:

Nikon D40:
Better kit lens (18-55mm), seemed clearer through the viewfinder.
Light and small
Less MP than the XT
Maybe a little harder to use than the XT

Canon Rebel XT:
Looking through the viewfinder the image did not look as good with the kit lens as the D40
Light and small
More MP
The buttons and controls seemed a little easier to use and were more labeled.

Is Nikon kit lens better or do you think there was there just dust or a scratch on the kit lens for the canon Rebel XT?

Will 6 MP really leave me enough room to crop and make large prints?

There is a little wheel by the viewfinder, turn that and you can focus it.

Most reactions

Back