Nikon d40 or Olympus E-520?

KKJUN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, after reading a thread, that was complaining about noobs (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/187647-i-know-im-new-tpf-all-but.html), I feel a little guilty making this thread, but anyway:

I'm planing to buy my first camera in the next few weeks. My budget is around 420€/600$. It looks like I'm having two options right now:

1.) Get a used Nikon d40 off ebay, probably with two lenses and accessories for probably around 400€.

or:

2.)Borrow a little bit of money from my parents and buy a Olympus E-520 on amazon. It's 460 €, but it used to be 850€ (if you want to check: http://www.amazon.de/Olympus-E-520-SLR-Digitalkamera-Bildstabilisator-Kit/dp/B0019JNMJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=ce-de&qid=1261697637&sr=8-1)

Which option would you recommend? I'm more leaning towards the Olympus-option, but i'm a little worried about the huge dischount (why would they give it?).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As long as Amazon is fullfilling the order I wouldn't worry to much about it. I'd get the E-520 and a warranty.

What are inventory taxes like in Europe? They may be overstocked and seriously need to move some product.

i have an e-510 which is pretty much same as 520 and i love it

thanks for the input guys. any other oppinions?

I've used my friends e520 and i dont like how it feels on my hands. Im a nikon owner and i love my d40 especially now with the battery grip. If feels so much better in my hands

I've been shopping through new and used DLSRs and I have to agree, after just holding several different cameras I just don;t like the way that the Olympus feels in my hands. Probably going with a Nikon D40 or D40x.

The D40 is going to give you much better noise performance across the board. I'd skip the Evolt.

LOL

We have been through this before :)

If you need slightly better high iso performance, go for the D40

If you want the additional features of live view, auto sensor dust cleaning, auto focus in body, 10 vs 6 mp, image stabilization and a slightly larger screen go for the E-520.

Cheers, Don

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will get the Olympus, even if it has worse performance, considering it is new and has a warranty (and I tried the e520 of a friend of mine. the feeling isn't THAt bad).

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back