Nikon D40 prices?

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I saw the other day a Nikon D40 with regular lens (didn't pay attention what focal length but it was a Nikon brand) for about $210 at a well known local membership-based warehouse. It seems they over-stocked and were selling them. Brand new, sealed, with warranty.

Is that a good price? I see them being sold for $600-$700.

My wife's been bugging me to get her a DSLR (no, it is not for me, I'm staying with film). :lmao:

GREAT DEAL! I'm assuming it's kind of like Sam's Club/Costco? Then ya...go for it. Even with the price of the membership it's worth it. Just make sure you know which lenses to buy since it doesn't have an AF motor. See if that affects your decisions at all.

For that price, buy it. Buy 2. Very nice camera for a first time DSLR beginner photographer.

For that price, buy 5 and resell 4 on eBay for $200 higher... or buy as many as they will let you and do the same.

Just be wary of offers of cheapo accessories, spare batteries etc that take the price over what the equivalent would be at B&H.

Good luck,
Helen

Prices seem to be dropping fast on these. Seeing them for under $500 regularly with the 18-55 kit lens - when only a month ago they were at $549 or even $599.

However, at THAT price, I'd buy a couple myself - would even take a risk at gray market.

Update:

The D40 I saw was at Sam's Club and it was actually a display unit with a few blemishes. The lens' coating had some discoloration, the LCD screen was scratched pretty badly (someone might have keyed it) and there were some scuffs on the body. :grumpy:

I passed on that.

My wife's been bugging me to get her a DSLR (no, it is not for me, I'm staying with film). :lmao:

Phew... had me worried for a bit...

"And Duncan's horses - a thing most strange and certain -
Beauteous and swift, the minions of their race,
Turn'd wild in nature, broke their stalls, flung out,
Contending 'gainst obedience, as they would make
War with mankind."

"And Mitica did buy a digital camera". :stun:

I'd NEVER buy a display camera at a store - esp the big ones. You see bodies WITHOUT lenses or covers on the end of chains and all kinds of scary stuff......

Makes you wonder about the "demo samples" some places advertise - I suppose it's if one thing if they're selling Nikon "refurbished" - which have been cleaned and evaluated but even then the warranty seems to be 90 days or so compared with the usual 1 year for cameras and 5 for lenses

d40x is dropping in price too, I saw them at beachcamera without a kit lens for $579 - not too bad!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back