Nikon D40 saying card full but new SD card

tizzybelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, I had an old memory card and it kept saying card is full after taking 100 pics (2gb), so I ended up buying a NEW SD card 64gb but it STILL says that the card is full. I've formatted it on the camera itself and then again on the mac but I can't take any pictures. Is it the card or the camera do you think? I'm really unsure as I used someone else's 64gb SD card and it worked fine on the camera. If any of you have any ideas I'd really appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks,

Tizzybelle

Welcome aboard.

The Nikon's and the Mac's file structures are different so only format cards in the camera for taking photos.
Use any camera (that takes SD cards) to format the card, and take a shot - that will test out the card.

Have you tried formatting it?!

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Check the manual, but I believe it says something like this

The following SD memory cards have been approved for use in the D40 digital SLR. All cards of the designated make and capacity can be used, regardless of speed.
SanDisk 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB*, 4GB*+
Panasonic 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB*, 4GB*+
Toshiba 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB*
Lexar 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB*
* If card will be used with card reader or other device, check that device
supports 2 GB and 4 GB cards.
+ SDHC compliant. If card will be used with card reader or
other device, check that device supports SDHC.

which means that even though you can buy a 64GB card TODAY,
it may only use up to 4GB of the card as that is what was available THEN
and only certain cards may work. The D40 is an old camera and has technical limitations compared to todays cameras. So maybe try the same brand card of the other one that you tried and see what happens. Things were more finicky in the past.

I have a feeling that card in simply not compatible with the old D40.

Have you tried formatting it?!

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Thanks for the reply! I have tried formatting it on the mac and camera.... but no use I think it's just not compatible with the camera =/

I think you might be right... I'm going to try and get another SD card and see what happens!

It's very hard for manufacturers to create FUTURE compatibility, when that technology doesn't exist it lol

astroNikon is correct" The D40, and most other d-slrs of that era have a Fat32 file system issue. Buy 2-gigabyte cards!!!! Back in the day, this issue came up ALL the time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back