Nikon D40 vs D80 or Canon

TUX424

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been have been taking photography classes in school for the last 3 years and i have really enjoyed my time very much but i would like to move up from a point and shoot to a DSLR (I am sure of this).

For sometime now it has been going back and forth between the Nikon D40 and the D80 and i have picked them both up at messed around with them, but i am still unsure of weather to get the D40 and loss so of the Features that i would like to have and get some other acc. or get the Nikon D80 and go from there. The Cheapest i have found the D40 is about $450 and that is the 18-55mm kit on Amazon.com and i have found the Nikon D80 at a local shop for $730 with the 18-55mm VR lens.

I have not looked at Canon for a while so not reallying leaning
that way but any thing that would be worth changing my mind is welcome

Also i plan on shooting Snowboarding photos of my friends so Action photography is what im in to but i sont need big #'s in FPS.

The lack of internal focus motor and only one command dial are deal breakers for the D40 IMO. The D80 is a great camera and would probably serve your needs, but you might want to wait a little while since the D90 is coming out soon (Sept, I think). The price on the D80 is sure to drop, or you could get the D90.

the other big thing that is a no for the Nikon D40 is the fact that it is only a 3 point AF and the D80 is a 11 point AF big plus.

I know that the D90 is coming but im a little iffy about it b/c u buy a DSLR to take pictures not video u want video and pictures buy a P&S
Sry but that is just my thought

Still open for ideas of Canon

im a little iffy about it b/c u buy a DSLR to take pictures not video u want video and pictures buy a P&S
That used to be what we all thought...but the D90 (and other new cameras) might change that. And if the camera is still capable of great still images and doesn't cost too much more...then why not?

D80!! I had the D40 and really missed the AF motor and only having 3 AF points. As for Canon, I don't really know, the Lower end (XTi, XT, XSi) are very uncomfortable to use IMHO! Now the 40D and such are much better to hold so...:) I was holding the XSi the other day and when I would look in the view finder my nose hit my thumb because of how it was designed:(!!! I REALLY did not like that, but maybe it is just me:)

D80, D200, or any other (D70, D50) Nikon body with AF built in - it's been a real pain when getting prime's owning a D40 body, and then dealing with Manually focusing. . .

It depends. If you're on a tight budget, get the D40. It's a great camera. There's little you can't do with the D40 that you can with cameras costing ten times as much, plus it can flash sync up to 1/500 shutter, which is more than the Nikon D3! (and the D80, for that matter)

However, if I had to do it again, I'd probably spend that bit more to get the D80 instead of the D40, mainly for the wider selection of AF lenses and the 18-55 VR kit lens (VR is great). You'll be able to use autofocus with all of the AF lenses from the 80's and newer. There are plenty of AF-S lenses available for the D40, of course, but most of them are pretty expensive compared to all the used AF lenses you can choose from with the D80. Nikon makes a 70-300mm AF lens for about $100 new.

The other features you get with the D80 like auto-bracketing, 11-point AF system, remote flash and ISO 100 would be nice to have.

If you do get the D80, definitely wait for a bit as the price should drop due to the introduction of the D90. Idiots will be scrambling and drooling over the D90's video feature and the D80 will be able to be had for a great deal.

As far as Canon goes, a friend of mine has a Rebel XTi / 400d. I've used it a few times. It's a great Camera and the USM kit lenses AF a bit faster than Nikon's el-cheapo AF-S lenses, but I find the D40 more comfortable to hold. There are really no "bad" DSLR bodies these days, so it really comes down to a matter of comfort and convenience for what you want to get out of it.

Last edited:
D90, and if that is more than you want to spend get a D40 and take advantage of 40+ years of nikon lenses

A local camera shop has a Nikon D80 body referb. for $450 i think i am going to get that is everything is in working order and the 18-55 VR

Also what would be a good lens to expand my focal length i was thinking and most likely going to get the 55-200mm VR seems like a solid lens but again open to sepestions and what would be some other must get acc. Flash, Filter, Bag, etc.

Thanks again for all of your guys help
Props for TPF

To fully utilize the large selection of excellent older Nikon lenses (pre-1996), you're probably looking at a $1625 D300 or a $3000 D700. There are 18 Nikkor AF-S and 11 AF-S DX lenses (29 total) that will work with auto-focus and auto-exposure with the entry-level Nikon cameras (e.g.: D40 or D60). Other than the recently-introduced AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED, none of these are wide angle or standard prime lenses.

There are 54 current Canon EF and 7 EF-S lenses (61 total, plus more discontinued models introduced since 1987) that will work fully-automatic with the entry-level Canon EOS Rebel DSLR cameras.

Manually focusing and manually setting exposure isn't the end of the world, but for an entry-level DSLR camera, it can make the learning curve steeper.

It hasn't been mentioned, but another big plus for the D80 is having the Commander mode so the you can have off camera flash (SB-600 & SB-800 ... & probably the new SB-900) right out of the box.

I played with the XT, D40 & D80 when in the buying mood. The D80 felt better in my hands. You'll want to see for yourself.

I personally don't care for canons. I currently own a D40, however I feel constantly frustrated by its lack of AF motor. For this reason, I would suggest a D70S if you're trying to save money. If not, go with the D80.

Would not recommend canon because older lenses don't work, and it is generally very uncomfortable to use. Just my opinion though, the Canonites will be here any minute to tell you why you need a canon.

Personally, I love the D40. The only major thing it lacks is an in body AF motor. The three AF points don't bother me at all, and it meets my needs most of the time.

I know that the D90 is coming but im a little iffy about it b/c u buy a DSLR to take pictures not video u want video and pictures buy a P&S

Still open for ideas of Canon
I like you already.
I would get the D80 over the D40. With the 80 you can use all of Nikons lenses with full functionality, it has more focus points as you said. It basically has alot of the functions of the D200 but, I can remember which it doesnt have. I have the D80 and love it still, even though it is now my abuse camera. I have the D300 as well so it gets used more.

The Cheapest i have found the D40 is about $450 and that is the 18-55mm kit on Amazon.com and i have found the Nikon D80 at a local shop for $730 with the 18-55mm VR lens.
The one thing I would say is buy the camera body only for less. Then buy the lens you plan on getting and save a few bucks. Usually the kit lenses are bad, although Nikon kit lenses are pretty good, but Canons are not. If you are planning on buying a new lens and using it a lot, dont get the kit lens.:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back