Nikon D40 X vs Canon Rebel XTi ?

picture_this07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Lawrenceville, Ga ( staying in NC right now)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been using a Kodak Z710 for a while and its ok, but i want something better faster. I have been looking between the D40x and the Rebel XTi. I wanted to know if anybody here had either one of these and how they were.

Im just a beginer but i have done quite a few pictures. I enjoy it more than anything.

so if you care to help me i would be greatly appricated.

Welcome to the forum.

HERE is a side by side of those two.

Really, they are both very good cameras and you would be happy with either one. I suggest going into a store and holding them both. Play with them and change the settings etc. See which one feels the best to you.

And if you intend to take your photography seriously I suggest you do NOT consider the D40, since it's lack of autofocus motor means you loose the ability to autofocus around half of Nikon's current lens line-up.

If this is of no concern to you then ... what mike said :)

I agree with Big Mike, both cameras are very good choises.
The lack of autofocus motor in the camera body of the D40X might reduce your choise in Nikkor lenses, but most new Nikkor lenses have an autofocus motor built in. Only older ones would be an issue. (Even then you could focus manually.) But Big Mike makes a great deal of sense, go to the store where you plan to buy your camera and try them both. See what you like the best. After all, you'll want to keep the camera for a while and photography is much more fun if you feel some comfort while shooting.

I guess with introduction of 40D, the prices o 30D might come down almost to XTi. And 30D any day would be better choice compared to XTi. As Mike said I was also debating over XTi and 30D. I went to a store, played around with both of them and made the decision in about 10 minutes.

I guess with introduction of 40D, the prices o 30D might come down almost to XTi. And 30D any day would be better choice compared to XTi. As Mike said I was also debating over XTi and 30D. I went to a store, played around with both of them and made the decision in about 10 minutes.

Until you go and play with a 40D then you will be trying to decide how to come up with the money for one of those. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

HERE is a side by side of those two.

Really, they are both very good cameras and you would be happy with either one. I suggest going into a store and holding them both. Play with them and change the settings etc. See which one feels the best to you.

except you have the D40 vs the XTi, not the D40X.

But forced to choose between the too, I would take the XTi with its terribly large screen and no second LCD :grumpy: over the D40X's lack of focusing points and motor in the body (eliminating all but the newest nikon lenses)

i went through the same dilemma.

D40x > xti

why?
the button layout on the d40x was much more organized...it just seemed cluttered on the xti. the d40x kit lens is better than the xti's kit lens. i personally wouldn't worry too much about the AF motor. I just bought athe nikon 18-200mm vr lens and love it. unless you plan on making large purchases on lens', i suggest the xti

It can take them. It just won't autofocus if they're not AF-S ones.

Which for a lot of people is a problem when you're using a camera with a small viewfinder and no manual focusing aids.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back